Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Capturing the Superb Moment

I love walking around a gorgeous garden or a colorful town with my camera in my pocket so I can pull it out and snap something flashy at a moment's notice. When I am on a trip, with school or with my family, I usually take multiple photographs. I take pictures of my friends and the greenery around me. I also take shots of buildings and animals scurrying around. I have taken pictures in Portland, Black Butte, Arizona, Canada, Paris, and best of all the Oregon Coast.
I’m not one of those people who spend an hour just trying to get the perfect angle or most magnificent view of the image I want to capture. When I take pictures it’s usually because there is something beautiful that catches my eye or an object that I want to be able to show my friends and family who aren’t with me to share the moment. So, I don’t wait for the perfect time but alternatively the perfect time finds me.

I have a small charcoal Lumix camera that I carry around whenever I am someplace new, and I have gotten so used to taking pictures with it that if I used anything else I probably wouldn’t know how to go about it. When I am home from my trip or I fill up the space on my camera, I upload the pictures to my laptop and there I can fix up the little mistakes. I don’t do big fixes but sometimes I enhance the picture, crop, or straighten it depending on what it looks like. My great grandmother gave me the camera about two years ago for Christmas and I have been joyfully taking pictures with it ever since even though some pictures can be blurry because I am always moving around.


I really like taking pictures at the beach in particular and that might be because I think the beach is the most beautiful place on earth, but I also think it’s because I can capture the ideal image at the right moment. I also love how the sun hits the water making a sparkling effect and the bubbles that are on the waves when they break. The tropical feel and sandy taste make it feel like a dream and preserving that moment makes it one to come back to.
When I went to Paris, I grasped some great images and beautiful scenes because it is such a lovely place to visit, and taking pictures was fantastic because I could show my family and friends back at home. I loved taking pictures when we went up the Eiffel Tower because I had the whole view of the city and the pictures look fabulous when they were taken from higher above. I also liked visiting all the gardens and I loved taking pictures while riding on a boat on the Seine river.

14 comments:

  1. I have a feeling that your passion for photography will play a role in your future. Skills like this often open doors. Your writing certainly conveys your enthusiasm for photography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Thea -

    Thank you for sharing your burgeoning love of photography. Learning to capture special moments with your camera can be a wonderful way to stay in touch with family over the years, and over distance.

    Your description of the beach lets me feel your pull to the crashing waters of the Oregon coast. It's emotive, and full of sensory detail.

    I grew up in Oregon using my camera much the same way you're using yours - to explore the world, to capture, and to share. Now, living in Amsterdam, my camera feel even more essential. Over 8000 km and 9 hours separates the European life from my Portland family, but photographs can carry personal and unique moments across that divide.

    Keep writing and photographing!

    Best from the other side of the pond,
    Mark
    --
    Scientist / photographer: http://www.drknightphotography.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Thea!!
    You did a really great job on the blog post. I like how you tied in so much detail into the little snippets of events that you shared in your post. One suggestion I have is that you could maybe add a few more things about why the beach is your favorite place to take pictures and maybe add a few more stories from you Paris trip.
    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Thea,
    I really enjoyed reading your post because it really painted an image in my head. I like how you explained the process of you taking pictures on your camera, and what you do with it afterwards. I also loved the time you said "So, I don’t wait for the perfect time but alternatively the perfect time finds me." Since when have you been so drawn to the beach and it's beautiful details?
    Sincerely,
    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Thea,
    I really liked your blog post, it was super descriptive, and I LOVE the ocean also!
    I like that you still use a camera instead of a phone. I do too.
    your pictures are also extremely great!
    I wonder if you might become a photographer.
    I like the picture of Lake!
    Great job!
    -Tulip

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Thea!
    I really liked how eloquent and well written your post is. I also liked how relatable it is, I like the beach a lot too! Your pictures are really good! Would you ever want to be a professional photographer?
    - Mikayla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Thea,
    I love your blog post and how detailed it was. I can relate on the love of taking pictures. I love the angles and details you can notice in photos and go back to relive the moment with others around you. I loved how you said "I don't wait for the perfect time but alternatively the perfect time finds me." It really stuck with me. My question is did you do photography before you got your camera? How long have you been taking photos? What is your favorite photo?
    Keep up the good blogging and photography,
    Sanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Thea,
    I really liked reading about the photography you've done. This was cool to read because I can relate with a lot of the things you said. I really like how you like to take pictures at the beach because that's also one of my favorite places to take pictures too. My one question would be what is your favorite beach that you've taken pictures at?
    Keep up the photography!
    Sincerely,
    Rachel Y.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Thea,
    Its so nice to read a post about something that the author is really passionate about and it is clear after reading your article that photography is something that you really enjoy. Your writing style is more poem that blog post and is almost lyrical in execution. My one question for you is, which do you prefer taking pictures of, people or buildings?
    Very well done,
    William

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Thea,
    I loved reading your blog post! I really liked how you kind of wrote a poem about the beach because I also love the beach. It was really cool how you described what you like to take pictures of, where, and how you just like to capture the moment. I loved the pictures that you posted to your blog as well. My one question for you is do you think that you want to become a professional photographer when you grow up?
    Thanks,
    Jade :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Thea,

    I really enjoyed reading your blogpost! It was very compelling and well written. I also really like photography, and I thought how you explained it from your perspective was very interesting. Did you take the photos you posted? Why do you prefer your camera over other types?

    From,
    Riley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Thea,
    I really liked reading your blog post! I loved all the pictures you included and your title. Are the photos included taken by you? Very Well done!
    - Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thea,
    I really enjoyed how informative and interesting your post was. I also love photography and I thought I could really relate. Did you take those photos?
    Good work,
    Anushka:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thea,

    I greatly enjoyed reading your blog post! It was both compelling and well written. I also have a knack for photography, so I thought how you explained it from your perspective was very interesting. Did you take the photos you posted yourself?

    Beautiful post,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete