I love playing soccer. Soccer is my life. I have so much fun going to travel tournaments with my team in California, Seattle, and Denver. I am flying to a tournament in Las Vegas for Spring Break and playing in the National Premier League Finals in Indianapolis this summer.Playing soccer at the competitive level has forced me to learn to manage my time. I was excited to play on the Catlin Gabel team in the Fall, but also playing club soccer for FC Portland Academy was hard. Sometimes, I had a game after-school in Corbett or Vancouver followed by a FC Portland practice in Hillsboro. I would get home at 9 pm and then have to start my homework. I learned to work ahead on the weekends and to try to get big projects done early. I also do a lot of homework in the back seat of the car.
When our Catlin Gabel team made it all the way to the Final Championship, we had to play against our biggest rivals OES and a few of my friends outside of school. I knew it was going to be a tough game. The last time we played them, we lost. We were up 2-0 at the half. Then, with only 10 minutes left in the game, OES scored. They had the momentum now and then the nightmare happened. With one minute remaining in the game, the championship slipped out of our hands as OES scored again! I couldn’t believe it.
After goal-less overtimes, the game went into penalty kicks. I was so nervous. The championship was on the line. The big crowd was a swirl of color and I kept reminding myself to stay focused. Now it was my turn. I wondered whether anyone would be able to tell that I was shaking. I walked toward the goal and placed the ball on the white dot. I heard the referee’s whistle blow. I knew as soon as I struck the ball that I played it too safe. I watched in horror as the goalie anticipated the arc of the ball and made the save. My heart sank. I felt horrible because I let my team and school down. It was a shot that I should have made. Thankfully, an OES player missed a penalty kick too and we ended up winning the championship! I am now practicing my penalty kicks and next time, I will score!

Dear Annika,
ReplyDeleteI really like your point that soccer isn't just a sport, and some people just never accept that. I really like how you talk about what time management and soccer. A few questions I have are, how long have you been playing soccer? Do you like taking penalty kicks?
Keep playing soccer,
Lauren Mei
Hi Annika,
ReplyDeleteI like how you talk about playing the game against OES. It seemed very realistic as though I was watching. Good luck on you're next penalty kick! Do you like taking other kicks like corner kicks or free kicks?
Sincerely,
Ishan
Hi Annika7fc,
ReplyDeleteWonderful Blog! It is really cool you are into soccer that much. Whats is your favorite soccer team?
-Advay k.
Hi Annika! I love your post because you explain how you manage your time between sports and school. I could never try doing homework at 9 pm. I love your pictures and your description of the OES soccer game. I love your pictures!
ReplyDeleteGreat blog post!
One question (I forgot to ask one): What position do you play on your team?
ReplyDeleteDefne
Dear Annika,
ReplyDeleteI love how you chose one big soccer moment for you and you elaborated so much on it. The description allowed me to feel what you were writing and feeling. My question for you is what would you have changed to get the penalty kick?
Sincerely,
Ellie
Dear Annika,
ReplyDeleteI love your post and how you talk about how important soccer is to you. Do you want to play on a competitive team when you are older?
-Jane
Dear Annika,
ReplyDeleteGreat job on the blog post! I really enjoyed your description of the final game against OES, you made me remember the day so vividly. How did that game affect you?
Keep it up, Ann Louise
Hi Annika,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed getting to read you piece because I didn't know that the Catlin game went over time. I was wondering if you play any other sports?
Sincerely,
Ramya
https://docs.google.com/a/catlin.edu/document/d/1_RKdxLpTa0uVCYcfVcaAI9k4WWyhxDDCt1ggDThKYtM/edit
ReplyDeleteHi Annika,
ReplyDeleteI really liked you piece. I could easily relate to how you expressed how much you loved soccer. Do you know your win to loss ratio this seasons games? I know that we haven't lost yet, but we haven't had very many games!
Lucy
Annika-
ReplyDeleteI loved this post! I think that your passion for soccer is so great and you did an awesome job of showing that. I loved all the pictures too, is it fun to have someone take pictures of you while you're playing? ;) How long do you think you'll continue to play soccer?
xxxxx-
Chloe
Annika,
ReplyDeleteI'll be honest, I, not a huge soccer fan, but reading this really made me understand why so many love soccer so much. You really showed how devoted you are to soccer, and how much it means to you. Are there any sports other then soccer that you enjoy?
-Phoebe
Hi Annika,
ReplyDeleteI love your blog piece on Soccer. I like how you talk about how much you like soccer but also talk about how hard it is. I like how you added the story about the school final against OES. What is your favorite thing about soccer?
Keep up the good blogging,
Britt
Hi Annika,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading your post! I really liked how you added pictures of you and your team. I was wondering if you plan on playing soccer for the rest of your life?
nice job!
-Emma