Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Mind Game



chess.jpg
    Chess is a sport, and don’t even think about arguing with me. Chess is about thinking in a placid place and thinking about each move you’re going to make. Chess is can be like meditation or it can be like torture. Patience is the key to winning a game, and if you totally lose it when you lose a game you’re gonna lose all the games you play for the rest of the day.
    Going into a chess tournament is like you were just injected with adrenaline. When ever I go into a game my stomach is churning, and I never make assumptions on how good the person I’ll be playing against is. I only make the assumption whether they were a jerk or a nice a person. Sometimes some people just tell you you’re gonna lose or they start whispering to their friend saying “ooo she’s a girl, try the four move checkmate.” Honestly, if I meet someone like that, I do everything I can do to beat the person.
     Whenever I'm in the middle of a game I have the best poker face on. Whenever I'm playing chess I sometimes play some mind games. Whenever I set up a trap I put a good piece out for bait and I kinda hit my forehead pretending "ah I made a mistake!", bu I really didn't. One time this guy named Andre actually fell for it when he was winning the game, and I ended up checkmating him. It was pretty great, my heart started beating faster, and my chest was getting heavy and I won the game. It was amazing. Mind games, to me is like acting, and I love getting my opponent to think really hard before they actually move.
    Chess, is a very serious game, and sometimes I’ve seen people break into tears because I beat them at chess. Most of the people I beat don’t cry, but when I see someone cry because I beat them, I feel a little sad, and I feel like I’m being held back by a big iron ball. When I win and I get no reaction from them, I have the biggest doofus smile ever. I feel like I had just won a million trophies. I feel like I’m flying above the whole world. But even if I lose, I always have the biggest, dorkiest, smile.
    Chess isn’t about winning it’s about learning. It really doesn’t matter to me how I do, but it does matter to me how the other person reacts. I love chess, and I would never quit, even if it was a life or death situation.SPFGI+Blitz+and+Rd+2+284.JPG


20 comments:

  1. I like the fact that you're passionate about chess but that you always try to be a good sport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours may be the most interesting piece I've read about chess. You humanized it, not an easy thing to do. I found your ability to focus on all of the surrounding issues and weave them into your game quite fascinating. Chess may not be a sport in the traditional citius, altius, fortius sense, but you certainly are a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear LM,

    This is a very good piece! I really liked how you said chess can be meditation or torture. I was wondering, how many moves ahead do you think when you're playing? I usually try to think two or three.
    -Audrey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Audrey,

      Thank you for comment. I usually like to think 5-7 moves ahead, but it's not always about thinking ahead. I usually like to look at all the possibilities even the ones that look stupid because sometimes those are the best moves, and sometimes they win the game.
      -LM

      Delete
    2. Hi LM,
      I really enjoyed reading your piece it was very funny and I couldn't help but picture the person's face when you beat them after they started with such a dumb comment as "ooh she's a girl...". Clearly, they don't know your potential!
      Why would you call chess a torture? Also, what is your favorite and least favorite thing about chess? Of all the games you have played in tournaments, do you enjoy the ones that you win easily in, or the ones where it is a long, close game and why?
      -Kavya

      Delete
    3. Dear Kavya,

      Chess can be torture for those people who can't sit down and have their brains focus on one thing. Honestly sometimes I wanna run circles around a room I'm playing in sometimes because I got so bored. My favorite thing is the fact Oget to plan out every move, and nobody can be yelling at you like "LM you made a HORRIBLE move" because no one is allowed to talk during a tournament game. My least favorite thing is when I have to use a chess clock. When I play in tournaments I love a long, close game. I really love them because the whole point is for a learning experience. Easy games are sometimes like good dessert if I'm ever having a rough day. Have you played chess? Do you enjoy any hobby's?

      LM

      Delete
  4. Hi LM,

    I really like your post. I also like you enjoy playing chess! What made you want to play chess?

    -Advay K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Advay,

      I started playing chess with my dad, and then I joined chess club in lower school. Then in third grade I started playing tournaments, and from then on I'm a vivid chess player. I really love playing chess.

      LM

      Delete
  5. Hey Lm, I found your blog really cool. I remember when I played chess club with you and you beat me every time, you motivated me to be a better player. What is your favorite piece to use? I really like the way that the knight can move and it is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sass all the way,

      My favorite piece to use is the Queen, because she has the most freedom. She can move as far as she wants diagonally, horizontally, and vertically as long as a piece isn't blocking her way. I remember in chess club when you used to beat me everytime, and that was part of my motivation to become a better chess player. Do you ever play chess for fun?

      LM

      Delete
  6. Hey Lm, I found your blog really cool. I remember when I played chess club with you and you beat me every time, you motivated me to be a better player. What is your favorite piece to use? I really like the way that the knight can move and it is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lauren Mei!
    I really liked your blog! How long have you been playing chess? Also, how often do you practice chess?
    Nice job!
    -Annika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Annika,

      I've been playing chess for about nine years, but only competitively for about 5 years. I practice almost everyday for at least 20 minutes, but I also have an hour long chess lesson every other week with a coach. Have you ever played chess?

      Lauren Mei

      Delete
  8. Hi Lauren Mei,

    I really enjoyed reading your piece because you really explained you passion. I was wondering if you play any other sports?

    Sincerely,
    Ramya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ramya,

      I do play other sports, but I really like chess the most. I play basketball, soccer, and ping pong. What sports do you have a passion for?

      Lauren Mei

      Delete
  9. Lauren Mei,
    I really liked you piece and how it taught me in a way about chess. How long do the competitions last? How many people compete?
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy,

      Chess tournaments can vary a lot. The longest tournament I've been in lasted 5 days in St. Louis. The shortest tournament I've been in was about 2 hours long. Again, the number of people competing varies a lot.

      LM

      Delete
  10. LM,
    I like how you opened with "chess is a sport, don't even argue with me." My question is, how would you define a sport?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baldrick,

      I define a sport as an activity that exercises your mental or physical capabilities in a competitive way. If there's a tournament or competition for it, then it's a sport.

      LM

      Delete
  11. Dear LM,
    I have to say that I find chess to be pure torture yet the most relaxing thing ever. What is your favorite piece? Mine is the bishop because nobody really thinks about it. Good luck on your next chess match!
    Sincerely, SamB10

    ReplyDelete