When I was two years old, our neighbor, Susan, who is a complete Cat Saint, and our family noticed a skinny homeless cat on our block. Susan, the Cat Saint she is, fed him and observed him, concluding he would be perfect for our family. We told Susan we would think about it, and fall became winter.
One particularly chilly night, with the weather looking even bleaker for the days ahead, we decided we would take the stray cat in, so we went over to Susan’s, let her know, found our new companion, and brought him home, with supplies Susan had given us. We played with our cat, whom we named Medium Decaf Milkshake With Whipped Cream On Top, Can You Split That Into Two Cups Please? after our favorite milkshake which he looked exactly like, being a siamese cat. We used to get that milkshake a lot. We called him Mocha as a nickname. The night got later, and Zach and I went to bed with Mocha curled by us, oblivious to what the morning had in store for us.
The weather was terrible the next morning! It was the biggest snow storm Portland had had in decades. We couldn’t even leave our house there was so much snow and it was so slippery! Mocha stared out the window, and I believe he truly knew he would of died during the night or the next few days to come if he wasn’t inside with us, and I think he was very grateful that we did take him in because why else would a cat let two little children drag him by his feet because they were too little to lift him? From that day forth, he loved us, and we loved him.
Me with Mocha My brother with Mocha
Stray animals died those few stormy days. Every year, 3,000-4,000 cats come into Multnomah County Animal Services. The majority of these cats come in during the warmer months of the year, also known as kitten season. There are homeless animal adoption teams which help them find homes, but sometimes pets have just been there for too long, and they have to put them down. This breaks my heart, so I’m so happy we got Mocha.
When we got Mocha, he was already an old man. He lived for a very long time, till he was 18 years old. He had two diseases and the cure for one of them made the other one worse. Sweet Mocha had never enjoyed going outside, but one night he was at the door, prodding at it. Usually, he just went and sat on the porch, but he went out further into the garden, knowing it was his time, wanting to die peacefully. We had Mocha till I was about eight or nine.
We found a rock and wrote about Mocha in un-erasable marker. We put the rock in our backyard in the vines and had a funeral for him, inviting Susan and a few other neighbors who had known him well. Every time I venture into the vines in my backyard, I bring a flower for my sweet Mocha, my best friend, who I miss, and love. So much.

What a wonderful tribute to Mocha. It brought me to tears at the end.
ReplyDeleteHi Sophie!
ReplyDeleteI really like your blog post! I really love my dog, Samba, too. How did you decide to name your cat "Medium Decaf Milkshake With Whipped Cream On Top, Can You Split That Into Two Cups Please?" Mocha is a cute nickname. :)
-Annika
Hey Annika!
Deletethanks ;) samba's adorable! We named Mocha his long name cuz it was our favorite milkshake that we used to always get at that time. His coloring, as a siamese cat, was REALLY similar to one of a caffeine-chocolate-whipped cream sort of drink.
-soph :)
Hey Annika!
Deletethanks ;) samba's adorable! We named Mocha his long name cuz it was our favorite milkshake that we used to always get at that time. His coloring, as a siamese cat, was REALLY similar to one of a caffeine-chocolate-whipped cream sort of drink.
-soph :)
Hi Sophie!
ReplyDeleteYour post is really heart-warming and you did a great job expressing your emotion in your writing. I was wondering where you got that milkshake, and also who came up with the name, and who saw the resemblance between Mocha and the milkshake.
-Jane :)
Hey janie banie wanie,
DeleteWe named Mocha his long name cuz it was our favorite milkshake that we used to always get at that time. His coloring, as a siamese cat, was REALLY similar to one of a caffeine-chocolate-whipped cream sort of drink.
-sophie :)
H Choco-chula,
ReplyDeleteGood job on the post! Do you ever want to get another cat?
-Advay K.
sup advay :) i have another cat now and his name is chula
Delete-soph
Hi Sophie,
ReplyDeleteI love this tribute to Mocha. It is so sweet and I can tell you really loved him. I was wondering how old were you when you took Mocha in? And how long did Susan take care of him?
I'm not really sure, but here are some guesstimates: susan took care of mocha for a few weeks, then we took him in and i must have been around 3 or 4
DeleteHi Choco-Chula,
ReplyDeleteThis is such a beautiful bittersweet blog post. I can tell how much you love and care about your cat. Do you have any cats right now? If so what are their names? If not would you get a cat?
Lauren Mei
Dear Sophie,
ReplyDeleteI know how much you loved mocha and I loved him to. We used to go out to that rock a lot together... I think the last time was 5 years ago, you showed me it for the first time. You are the sweetest person I know and in this story it showed so much love for your cat and you've never lost that love because I see it with you and Chula. I wanted to know what your favorite quality of Mocha was?
Form ellie
ReplyDeleteHi Sophie,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your piece it made me imagine the joy that you felt when you got Mocha. I was wondering if you have any other pets? Great piece!
Sincerely,
Ramya
Hi Sophie,
ReplyDeleteI thought it was really nice that you wrote such an amazing piece about your cat. The writing really helped me imagine what he looked like, even without the pictures. I was wondering, have you had any dogs?
Sophie,
ReplyDeleteYour piece was so so so cute! I loved the picture at the end, it was adorable. What other animals have you had in the past or had right now?
Lucy
Aw sophie!
ReplyDeleteI loved your blog post!! this is so so so so so so cute!! How many cats have you had ?