Basketball is a sport I have played since I was about 8. I was never a dream player, yet I still keep playing, and even this year I play for two teams. I'm a nerd, but one of the least nerdy things in life has become really special to me. I am focused on this commitment of mine, although I don't play a lot of basketball in the off-season. I go into each year of basketball hoping for improvement.
Basketball has taught me to be committed. In history, whenever someone wanted something, they had to keep repeating the same cycle until they were satisfied. It's like a revolution, you have to keep coming back over and over again just to get what you want - no matter if it is freedom in a large nation, or improving in a sport.
Another thing I learned from basketball, similar to being committed, was a simple phrase that everyone is always hearing - Never Give Up. In a game, when you are behind by 10, 20, or even 40 points, you can't just accept you have lost. The team you are playing against proved that it is possible to get up by that lead, and therefore, so can you. This has been an important skill for me throughout my life whenever there is a test to study for, a competition I'm competing in, or an assignment in 7th grade that I procrastinated to the very last day, and now I have to do my very best work. You have to follow through, and finish whatever you started.
Basketball also shows me to never get lazy when I am in the lead. This has grave importance whenever you think you're ahead in a project, because you can easily go from ahead to behind in very little time. Once I was in a basketball game in which there was one quarter left and we were leading by about 20 points, and our team got complacent, so we blew our lead and had to fight for our win in overtime. This also is like a revolution, in which complacency as you reach your finish, can sometimes knock you back and reverse some valuable work you've done.
Basketball is a sport that you have to see through to the end. I always have been wanting to improve, and sure enough, I am.
Dear D555,
ReplyDeleteGreat blog, I really like how you wrote everything. This blog really shows your passion. Who is your favorite basketball team?
Calvin the Cucumber
Calvin the Cucumber,
DeleteI guess my favorite team is the Blazers, but my family likes the Golden State Warriors. I'm glad you liked what I wrote.
-DS55
Dear D555,
ReplyDeleteGreat blog, I really like how you wrote everything. This blog really shows your passion. Who is your favorite basketball team?
Calvin the Cucumber
Hi DS55,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed how you talked about the many lessons that can be learned from basketball. I play basketball myself and think these life lessons are prevalent in everyday life. What led you to start playing basketball?
Thanks,
Soph
Soph,
DeleteI started playing basketball because most of everyone I knew played basketball. What led you to playing basketball? Thanks for reading what I had to say.
DS55/Dylan
Hi DS55,
ReplyDeleteYour blog was very good! I agree that you should not be lazy when you are in the lead and never give up when you are behind. Who is your favorite basketball player?
I had a fun season playing with you
-Advay K.
Advay,
DeleteI had a fun season playing with you too. I don't really have a favorite basketball player, but I guess LeBron James :)
What is your favorite basketball player?
Glad you enjoyed my post,
DS55/Dylan
Hi DS55,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you explained the determination every player on a team should. That they should never give up when they are behind. Why do you think some players give up when they are behind?
- Ethan
Dear DS55,
ReplyDeleteI really love how you explain your deep passion for basketball. I really like how you give advice for people. One question I have is: You described yourself as a nerd, what do you mean by that? What makes a person a "nerd?"
Lauren Mei
Dear DS55,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your paragraph about never giving up. I have been there loosing by 10 and I thought that was a great point about never giving up. I also love how you mentioned procrastinating on a school project, we have all been there and its not fun. I like the blazers but whats your favorite team?
Keep up the good work, Ann Louise
DS55
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed how you talked about the importance of basketball and how you talked about personal experience playing the game. I was wondering, when you were twenty points ahead, and then went into overtime, what were you thinking about? Did you think about how you guys could let this happen?
Dear D555,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed how you talked about how in basketball you should never give up when you are behind, I think this is relevant for most sports as well! I also loved hearing about your personal experiences and how it was mostly about one moment. I wanted to know if you want to become a professional bball player?
Ellie
Hi D555,
ReplyDeleteI like your post and how you talk about how you should never give up. Do you want to continue playing basketball when you are older?
-Jane
Hi Dylan,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post because I don't know what is is like to have a passion for a sport. I was wondering if you play any other sports?
Sincerely,
Ramya
Dylan,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post and the message it sent out. I like when you talked about never giving up because I constantly have to remind myself to do that when I play sports. Have you ever played any other sports?
Dylan,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you learned to apply basketball to real life. I was wondering though, how did you first get interested in basketball?
-Ibrahim
Hey Dylan,
ReplyDeleteI really like your title and and your picture. I was wondering if you plan to continue playing basketball throughout your life?
nice job!
-Emma