Thursday, January 29, 2015

A new school

from kassblog.com
     I moved to Catlin Gabel in 2014.  I had just left a Montessori school so Catlin was very different.  In Montessori there is no homework and you choose what you would like to learn about.  The teacher gives lessons on various subjects and to small groups at a time.  Often the class will contain about 30-45 students.
 That is what I have experienced at least.  In Montessori you have three grades mixed.  So in the upper elementary (which included sixth grade), there were fourth graders, fifth graders, and sixth graders.  Catlin Gabel was a big change to move to.  There was homework, classes of each subject, and many other things that were different from Montessori.  When I moved to Catlin, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I welcomed the different teaching style and was very impressed and pleased with Catlin's community.  I currently am part way through the year and enjoy Catlin Gabel very much.  Subjects that I had never really enjoyed I began to enjoy because of Catlin Gabel's excellent teaching.

     Catlin Gabel has an excellent community and staff.  The teachers are very fun and teach very well.  When they teach they are very fun and are very interesting and informative.  For instance when I was in Montessori school, I didn't enjoy English very much.  Now, in Catlin Gabel, I enjoy English much more.  In all of the classes, the organization is nice.  But I also liked learning what I chose to learn.  I enjoy learning according to the schedule.

     The Catlin Gabel campus is very big and is beautiful.  It has woods, buildings, fields, hills and other geographical features.  I personally enjoy the campus and like the walk through the woods to get to two soccer fields and a track.  Also, left of the track is a nice area.  It has pants, trees, and other nice things and leads to the lower school soccer field.  At my old school, the campus was much smaller.  But it was still very nice because sometimes small is good.  Catlin is a wonderful school and I am very happy to have come to Catlin Gabel.

11 comments:

  1. SoccerLover - I enjoyed reading your comparison of Catlin & the Montessori school experience ... you did really well highlighting the best parts of each of them. I am pleased for you that Catlin is the right place for you today! As i write I'm sitting in Buenos Aires at an outdoor cafe. I was talking yesterday with friends here about the challenges of different educational experiences ... in this case we were talking about the differences between the USA and Argentina. My friends would benefit from seeing your thoughtful blog - as you do so well describing the best of both your worlds. All the best - John

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great it is to hear that you valued and appreciated your Montessori experience but found the transition to a more structured education fairly easy and welcoming. I'm about to put my toddler into Montessori and am very excited for her; I think she is going to like it a lot. Similar to you she will be in Montessori for a few years and the will switch to the publich school district in our neighborhood (which is in Southern California.) If you get to pick what you learn in Montessori what if you always pick the same topic? Do they ever "strongly encourage" you to mix things up? English was my favorite class too....I'm guessing we have that in common because we had the same teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soccerlover,

    I can relate to your story because I was a new student at Catlin Gabel in 2013. Moving from one school to another is a big change. Did you ever feel that you didn't belong in the catlin community? Also, was there a time where you felt overwhelmed?

    ~Aarushi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi SoccerLover,

    I used to go to a public school before I moved to Catlin and I also find Catlins campus amazing and there teaching style helpful. If you had to change something about Catlin what would you change?

    -Advay K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi SoccerLover,

    I used to go to a public school before I moved to Catlin and I also find Catlins campus amazing and there teaching style helpful. If you had to change something about Catlin what would you change?

    -Advay K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear SoccerLover,

    I really like how you write about your experience at a new school. I really love how you describe some specific details about the difference with Montessori and Catlin Gabel for example you like English more now. One question I have is: do you miss Montessori? Do you ever wish you could go back?

    Lauren Mei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren Mei,
      Yes sometimes I miss Montessori because you could choose what you wanted to learn about. If was really interested in something I could just learn about it and it only. (Well not only the topic but pretty much.) So I wish sometimes that I could learn about just one thing.
      Sincerely,
      Ishan

      Delete
  7. Hi Ishan,

    I really enjoyed reading you piece because I didn't know you came from Montessori. I was wondering if you miss Montessori?

    Sincerely,
    Ramya

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soccer Lover,
    I really liked your essay because I could relate to it completely. I also came from a Montessori and came to CG in 4th grade. What was your favorite part about the Montessori teaching style? Why did you like that the most?
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ishan,
    I liked how you talked about how different Catlin is from your school. I was wondering, did your old school have homework?
    Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey Ishan,
    I really liked your picture because it puts everything into context. I was wondering what the biggest difference between your old school and Catlin?
    Nice job!
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete