Tournaments: long twelve hour days where you either lower your ranking, or you win. To win you need many things. There are many reasons why you can lose. You beat a team in your second game, but then you lose to someone way worse in the afternoon. Life is hard on the court.
When you win it feels great. everyone wants to win, and when you do it really boosts your spirit. It’s easier to win a game if you win the game before that. The winner is hugely dependant on skill, but you can beat a team that is better than you, if you are in the right situation. Volleyball is truly a team sport, where the winner is the louder, more excited team with the better mindset. You have to have talent to win, but talent can only take you so far. My team does best in these situations because when your energy level is up, you have more of a reason to win.
Losing is frustrating. But it happens. For some teams it’s a lot. Others (very rarely) it’s quite the opposite. But the most frustrating thing is when you lose in the game that counts. At some earlier tournaments, if you lose a certain game, you will have to stay and play a lot more because you lost. It happens, but it’s equally irritating every time.
Some tournaments can be really hard… but they really help you become a team. Obviously, you improve on your skills. But it’s also a team bonding thing. For some big tournaments, you have to drive somewhere for hours, and then stay in a hotel for a night (or more if it’s a long tournament). Some of it is fun, some of it isn’t. Overall, the tournament is a thing of wonder. Excitement, happiness, disappointment, tiredness, and frustration. But in good times and bad, win or lose, we’re a team.
Image Sources
Hi Lauren!
ReplyDeleteI loved your piece and I think you shared a really great story. I know exactly what it is like to be on a team and losing feels terrible, and it feels like you let the whole team down. I have a few questions for you, what is your team name? How long have you been on this team? Have you ever been on another team? Thank you so much for sharing your story!
Thanks
~Sydney
Hi Sydney,
DeleteI have been on the team since the start of this season (tryouts are in November). I have been on the team at this club before, but a different age group.
Thanks for the comment,
Lauren
Hi Lauren!
ReplyDeleteI really loved you post a lot! When you said that a tournament lasts for 12 hours, do you have a game in each of those hours? Even if it isn't, it sounds exhausting!!! I agree how you feel like tournaments are a great bonding time with the rest of your team.
Again, great post!
Noor W
Hi Noor,
DeleteThe schedule is different every tournament, but you aren't playing the whole time. You also have to drive to the tournament, so you have to wake up really early.
Thanks for the comment,
Lauren
Hey Lauren,
ReplyDeleteGreat Post! I like how you describe the many ways to win a game, by skill or luck! Would you say that you win more on luck or skill? This was a fun read.
Much Love
Alex
Hi Alex,
DeleteI think that in volleyball, you win partly because of your skill, but mostly because of your energy level. My team has won against teams that were better than us a few times just because we were really energetic and ready to play.
Thanks for the comment,
Lauren
Hey Emma,
ReplyDeleteIt was cool to hear about the winning and loosing in volleyball. I have been on a team that lost many games and I know how it feels to loose. Durring volleyball tournaments do you stay at the gym all day? I like the post and it was very fun to read.
~ALLY
Hi Ally,
DeleteDuring tournaments you are in the gym the whole tournament, except for breaks, when you can go outside if you want to. Tournaments usually last all day, but at tournaments that are more than one day, sometimes the day ends early.
Thanks for the comment,
Lauren
Hi Lauren,
ReplyDeleteYour post was really interesting to me, I have had the same feelings, but about soccer. I've never thought that they were very similar, but from your descriptions, it sounds like they are. Have you always played volleyball, or did you play another sport? If you played another sport, what sport, and do you think they are similar?
~Emma
Hi Lauren,
ReplyDeleteI really like your post! I especially like the part about winning, I play soccer and lacrosse so I understand what you mean. Does your team win often? Do you have any friends from catlin on your team? Nice post!
thanks,
Matthew
Hey Lauren!
ReplyDeleteI loved your post. I really liked how you related something deep like winning or losing to one of your hobbies. Your intro paragraph was really great! Good job
-Gemma