Thursday, January 30, 2014

Cooking and Baking

When I began to think about what to write in this post, I was sitting with my friends who were working on their homework when one of them suddenly said, “Hey, guess what? Today is international chocolate cake day!”
I looked up and said, “Really?”
“Yeah,” she’d told me. "And then tomorrow is going to be national blueberry pancake day!"
This is the conversation that inspired me to write my post about my love and passion of cooking and baking.
I have loved to cook and bake since I was little. Whenever I could, I would beg my mom to let me make dessert for everyone after dinner. I would make cookies, cupcakes, or sometimes even raspberry and blackberry crumbles with the help of my older sister. I know now why my parents said that they’d hold off on dessert. The things I made probably tasted horrible, unless my older sister was doing most of the work for me. But I loved it. Every second of it. The kitchen was a place where I was always 100% comfortable and I loved having the ability to put a smile on my family and friend’s faces. 
As I grew older, around the age of seven or eight, I started making more complex foods by myself like, my favorite, chocolate chip pancakes. Practicing the flipping part and perfecting the ratio of chocolate chips to batter over the years has turned me into a full time professional. My sister and I have also had a wide imagination for experimenting with foods in the kitchen. We especially like to experiment with Nutella. We love trying to find things we think could go well with it and add it in!
Now a days, I don't just make food for my friends and family, but for people in need. Every once and a while, I ask my family to let us go to a homeless shelter on Sunday nights to help make dinner. My sister and I always make chocolate cupcakes to bring with us that are covered in frosting and some VERY colorful sprinkles. We take them to the shelter and help out with the rest of the dinner, too. Then we get to help serve it to the homeless people. This is always my favorite section of the night. Because even though some of them haven’t been taught or aren’t able to say thank you, the ones that do are always so appreciative. It makes me realize how much of a difference you can make for so many people by taking one night out of my schedule. That part of the experience is what makes me want to go back every time.

Sources: 
https://www.etsy.com/market/keep_calm_and_eat
http://www.nutella.com/en/
http://gracessweetlife.com/2011/02/raspberry-and-blueberry-pistachio-almond-crumble/
http://www.pinterest.com/explore/homemade-chocolate-cupcakes/
http://www.bubblews.com/news/1814381-fresh-homemade-cookies-to-the-rescue
http://www.commentskart.com/tag/chocolate-cake/
My memories

9 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you bring your treats to a shelter. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Noor,
    I love to cook too! It's so awesome that you bring food to a shelter and make food at a shelter. I agree that it feels so awesome to use your hobbies to help other people. I like how you talk about how you have grown as a chef. What is your favorite thing to make? Which homeless shelter do you volunteer at?
    keep eating Nutella,
    Haley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noorio,

    I think that your blog post was well written, and created a very sweet story. I also love to bake, but not 100% of it since I HATE cleaning up. What do you think your favorite thing is to make? And is Hannah and I "your friends"? About the nutella, I have a few recommendations. For pancakes try cooking the pancake with nutella in the batter, or cook one side and put nutella on the other so it is warm and gooey. overall, great post!

    ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Noor! I love how you bake and cook for homeless shelters! That is so cool! How did you decide to do that or find out about that? I really like how you had the little "story" thingy about how you started out as a not so good baker and cook, and now you are awesome! It's cool how you would bake with your sister, too. That sounds fun:) Also, I LOVE Nutella, so I applaud you for finding new things to do with it:) I agree with Sydney, I have made Nutella pancakes before, and that was how and they were really good.... Great job, and keep on making delicious Nutella based food;)

    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Noor!
    I like how you started with a story and how your post is really detailed. I like to bake too... and those nutella pancakes (and basically everything else you talked about baking) sounds so yummy! It's cool how you bring what you bake to a homeless shelter and volunteer there. When did you start doing that? And what is your favorite food to bake? And you said you like 100% of when you're in the kitchen baking, does that include cleaning up? I know when I bake that's that part I never like to do. :)
    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Noor!
    Nice Post. I like how you explained how you got the idea of your blog pst, it is quite random! It is also really cool how you bake for homeless shelters! Do you ever worry that you will mess up for these people?
    Much Love
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Noor!

    Really good post! I think that it is awesome that you cook for the homeless shelters! It's always the best when you can take something you love to do and use it to help people. Whats your favorite dish to cook? When you cook do you not cook certain dishes do to difficulty/time required to cook them or do you just go ahead and cook anything? Nice job!

    Thanks,
    Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Noor,
    Your post made me hungry. Thats a job well done. I liked how you talked about how even though maybe the dessert wasn't that good, you felt comfortable in the kitchen making things. WHO DOESN"T LOVE NUTELLA! I thought how you went to the homeless shelter was really nice for them. What is your favorite thing to bake? Great post.
    -Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Narwhal!
    I loved reading this! I didn't know you had a passion for baking, but I totally got it after reading this! Do you ever find yourself running out of time when you're baking? I don't know if it's just me, but I always find myself rushed! I like how you talked about being in the kitchen, and not just the food (it made me hungry! ) Great job
    -Gemma

    ReplyDelete