I never really felt satisfied at my old school. I NEVER came home with homework. When I came home from the first day of school this year I was so happy to do homework. I got home and said to my mom "Can't talk, have homework!"
My classes were almost always the same, I had two different days, blue days and yellow days. On both days my first four classes (five, if you count lunch) were always the same. Humanities, math, advisory, lunch, and then science. At the beginning of the year, the humanities teacher who was supposed to be there had a baby and was at home taking care of it, so we had a sub named Mr. *****. He was a great teacher, the only problem was that he was an art teacher, not a humanities teacher. He was really fun, but he wasn't prepared to teach that class. Math is where I created all of my drawings. I was in the advanced math, but it was still very easy. I aced almost all my tests and lots of the time it was just a review for the kids who didn't get the concepts from the prior day. Advisory was the class from which we chose our locker partner. I had no friends in that class. It was usually just a study hall, but because I didn't really have any homework, I basically just sat there. Lunch was always the same. I ate, then went outside. It was my only time to see some of my "friends". Science was my favorite class. I learned things and did experiments. The teacher was very nice, but because there were so many people, she had no time for the students like me. On blue days, I had art after science. Art was ok, but the teacher was really grumpy and rude. She insisted that people do things a certain way and judged us on how good of art we created, not on how hard we tried. After art was PE. In PE I was the only one who really tried and could run a mile in under ten minutes. On yellow days I would have Spanish. Spanish SUCKED. I never really connected with the teacher and he never made any efforts to connect with any of the students. He was the French teacher up until the budget cuts happened. My last class was called Enrichment. Enrichment was a complete waste of time! It was supposed to be technology, but because of budget cuts I couldn't do that. So, we learned about things like Australia and airplanes (when we wern't watching Eyewitness movies and taking notes).
I never really had "good friends" at my old school. I had people who I hung out with and talked to, but only a few I really knew I could trust. During the transition to middle school from elementary school, most of my good friends went to option schools leaving me and a few others going to the community public school. About half way through the year I knew I couldn't take it any longer and wanted to go to a different school.
My friend heard that I wanted to switch schools and she suggested that I come to Catlin Gabel. I filled out an application, which took a long time. It consisted of many essay questions and I had to take a test called the SAT. I came to the school on a shadow day to see how a normal day went. It was wonderful, better than any other day at my old school. Everyone was so nice to me, always stoping to say 'hi'. I went to classes I didn't have at my school, like drama and photography.
I waited a long time to see if I had been accepted or not. Then, one day I came home from school and found lots of signs around the house saying "YOU GOT IN!!!" I didn't know what to think. My friends didn't want me to leave, and I kept telling them that I probably wouldn't. At that point I wasn't quite sure what I would do, mostly because I didn't think I would get in. My parents asked me every day what I would do and I kept giving them the same answer of "I'm not sure". I didn't want to leave my little group of friends at my old school, but I couldn't take the boredom any longer. I kept thinking, What would be better in the long run? Could I make new friends? I finally made the decision to switch schools. My friends were not happy, and still beg me everyday to come back.
When I woke up the morning of the first day of school, I was super nervous. I started school knowing that I knew only three people. I got there and people of all ages were saying hello to me. My first day of school at my new school was the best day at school I have had in years.
If you are going to a new school, don't be scared. People will reach out to you. I was nervous but now I have 64 new friends.
Sources:
http://xdimax.deviantart.com/art/DOODLES-OF-DOOM-60939652
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catlin_Gabel_School
http://theworldyousee-lx.blogspot.com/2011/09/freeedommmmmmm.html

Hi Ally, it's really interesting how similar our experiences were. I was always bored at my old school, and was worried about coming here. I agree with how nice and welcoming people were when I came here. Are you still happy with how much homework you have? Awesome post!
ReplyDelete~Emma
I couldn't believe that after the first day of orientation My dad told me there was a person just like me. I was worried too, but probably not as much as you because I knew Layton from soccer. I still enjoy having some homework but sometimes it's a little much.
DeleteThanks Again ~Ally
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHello Ally P.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very detailed and sophisticated blog post. This may be hard for you to understand, but I have never had any experience being new. I have gone to Catlin since pre-school and the only big switch I have ever made was soccer clubs. Reading your blog post really helped me understand what it is like to have to leave something you love, but also hate. Were your friends disappointed in you that you left? If they really were good friends then they would be proud of you and happy for you to try something new.
Your blog post was very fun to read, good job!
-Layton
Hey Lay-Lay,
DeleteThanks for the comment! I guess I never realized that you never had to be new and that coming to FC was the closest thing for you. My "friends" still bug me monthly. Sometimes its texts, get togethers, emails, or birthday parties.
~ALLY
Hey Priest A,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post. Your a great writer. I too was quite bored at my old school. Not challenged basically. I was a bit worried about coming to Catlin and academically failing due to the lack of stuff I was learning at my old school. My 6th grade class had eight students. The set up in general of my class was a bit odd because we had 4th, 5th and 6th grade in one class with one teacher and two assistants. I also had a suckish Spanish class after our Spanish teacher quit the year before. This year here at Catlin has been amazing and its really nice to hear you had an easy transition. Amazing Job!
Your buddy,
Anika
Hi Ally,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I loved this piece because I can so relate to it. Although I had many friends at my old school, when I came to Catlin Gabel I was way more challenged! Do you think you would have done fine with another year at your old school?
Much Love
Alex
Thanks Alex! You may have had many friends at your old school where as I did not. I don't think I could have gone to my old school. Thanks again.
Delete~ALLY
Hey Ally,
ReplyDeleteThis is a really nice post! I to understand how you feel as I only came to catlin in 5th grade. When I came people were also very welcoming. I also enjoyed having the challenge of home work, although after a while it became a bit much. Were you at your old school for your whole life before you came to catlin? Also, did your old school ever give home work out, or was it just something that you never got? Nice post!
Thanks,
Matthew
Hi Ally,
ReplyDeleteYou did a great post! It really spoke to me since I only came to Catlin in 6th grade. At your old school, there was no homework. How do you feel havinh homework has changed you life?
Good Job,
Lois
Hey Ally!
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading your post! I thought it was cool how you linked/compared Catlin to your old school! Do you feel like your have more things to do and you are busier now that you are at Catlin? Do you like it or is it really overwhelming? I loved your last paragraph and all your pictures! Great job daughter Priest
-Gemma
Hi Ally,
ReplyDeleteSince I switched schools too, I can really relate to this post. I thought it was amazing! What was the hardest thing about switching schools? For me it was leaving all my friends. Have you ever thought of going back to your old school? Great job!
Cordially,
-KAT