All I knew before I started playing guitar was that electric guitar had that rock tune and acoustic guitar was played mostly in country music. I had already played the WII game, Guitar Hero, and I loved it so much. Guitar Hero
was based off of electric guitar. At first, I thought of electric guitar players as "already part of a band."
But my thinking soon changed when my mom started taking drums lessons and performed on stage with others taking instrument lessons, such as for electric guitar. I convinced by mom to sign me up for electric guitar lessons at the beginning of the summer prior to 6th grade. I learned so much that summer and performed in front of a grocery store, Whole Foods, in November with the song: "Sunshine of Your Love" by Cream.
"Practice makes perfection" is a common saying that reflects well on learning electric guitar. Soccer, gymnastics or practicing the words for a Spanish quiz are some examples that need practice to get good at. Electric guitar takes persistence and patience, like if you can't remember a chord on the guitar and you've tried so many times, you have to keep calm.
When you're performing with other people, you have to pay attention not only to your own sheet music but also pay lots of attention to the other music parts. Like if the drums go off beat, then I would have to play my guitar a little faster or slower depending on the beat. Even though we have one rehearsal to prepare. This is all cooperation which can also be used when you're working with a group of people at school to create a presentation, a poster, or a speech.
I've had so much fun playing electric guitar both practicing and performing. I love the feel of playing in a band. I'm thankful that my mom was willing to sign me up for lessons. I continue to perform electric guitar and I have done songs like "21 Guns" by Green Day with my mom playing drums and my older sister playing acoustic guitar, or "Ho Hey" by the Lumineers. My favorite part of playing electric guitar is to find out the guitar chords online for songs from Portland's pop music stations like Z100 or 107.5. So my advice to you is that if you're committed to any activity, you can do it!
Image Sources: Second picture is taken by me
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/aberration/aberration0912/aberration091200015/6066122-blue-electric-guitar-isolated-on-white.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SqQTSFKCL.jpg

Hey Sujala,
ReplyDeleteGreat Job! I liked how you used your real life experience with guitar to help your piece flow. It made it seem very authentic. Do you think learning the electric guitar has helped some of your habits of mind?
Best Wishes
Alex
Hi Alex,
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting on my blog post. I think I had a lot of my habits of mind before I started playing electric guitar because I used to play violin and piano and those too took lots of practice. But playing in a band was a new experience which has been super fun that I had and learned from playing electric guitar.
-Sujala
Hi Sujala,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you explained your experiences, and how you first got into playing the electric guitar. I was wondering what other instruments you play? Is the electric guitar your favorite? Also, what's your favorite song to play? I really liked your post!
~Emma
Hey Sujala!
ReplyDeleteReally nice post! I like how you compared guitar to other things you do in life, it's really interesting how you only discovered it in 5th/6th grade but you love it so much. Do you play guitar in a band? If so how often does it perform? I was thinking about starting to play the guitar and hearing how much you liked it I defiantly will now. Great Post!
Thanks,
Matthew
Hey Sujala,
ReplyDeleteI liked your post and how you connected the electric guitar to school. The part and your mom and sister and you playing songs together is cool. After your teach a class, reading your blog post reminds me of it. What is your favorite type of electric guitar? Great Post
-Wyatt
Hi Sujala,
ReplyDeleteNice post! When I was little, I kind of tried to learn how to play the acoustic guitar, but I didn't like it. How much time do you have to put in per week to be good at electric guitar?
Keep on posting,
Lauren