Slowly and silently gliding through the water, the majestic creatures hypnotized me. My hands and face pressed up against the glass of the aquarium tank, and my gaze fixed on the gentle giants. I was just three months old, when my mother and grandparents took me to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. Swaddled in my mother’s baby bjorn, I kicked my legs with excitement as I watched the manatees swimming in their enclosure. Every time my mother attempted to walk away, I would scream until I could see the manatees once again. Little did they know, this would be the beginning of a life-long passion of mine. My grandfather bought me a stuffed manatee from the zoo gift shop. Once I got home from the zoo, my mother laid the manatee on the ground next to me, and I immediately rolled over, grabbed it, and fell asleep. From that moment on, she has been by my side. My parents thought I would lose interest in the manatee after a couple of hours, just like all of my other stuffed animals; however I did not. In fact, from that day, I haven’t gone to sleep without her. Too many times in the washing machine caused her eye to fall out. A little superglue did the trick, and it remains in tact to this day. After two years, the manatee’s fur began to wear thin from too many hugs, and my parents feared that it would be destroyed, so they asked my grandfather to buy me a backup manatee, just in case. My parents hid it in the closet, but one day, I bounded down the stairs beaming with excitement with one stuffed manatee in each arm and I shouted “TWO manatees!” My parents sighed and shook their heads, but could only smile. When I was old enough to walk, I would carry her around on my head, like a coonskin cap. Ultimately, when it was time for me to start preschool, my parents convinced me that she was agoraphobic, so I wouldn’t insist on bringing her to school. Since then, I have added twelve more stuffed manatees to my collection. I have been fortunate enough to experience real-life encounters with the manatees. When I was seven years old, I had the opportunity to swim with the manatees in the Crystal River. Although it took almost two hours to find one, it was worth the wait because I swam with a mother and her calf-- a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I returned to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium when I was ten years old, and stood in the very spot I stood when I first saw a manatee. When I was eleven years old I had the privilege of participating in a behind-the-scenes encounter at Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo, and saw the manatee rescue and rehabilitation tanks. I fed the manatees lettuce and cabbage and watched one of the employees feed a baby by a bottle. Every year, I visit my grandfather in Florida, and I wait in anticipation for another opportunity to be reunited with my beloved manatees.

Well written! I liked your descriptive word choices and it was obvious that you were sharing something you are passionate about.
ReplyDeleteYes I am passionate about them. Thank you for your comments!
DeleteI love this! This is so sweet and I can't believe that you were so passionate about it at such a young age. Very well written!
ReplyDeleteAww thanks Marisa!
DeleteHi Sydney!
ReplyDeleteNice post. I really liked how you wrote about how you loved them from such a young age! I think manatees are adorable too!
I also really like your title.
Really good job Sydney!
~Grace
Thank you Grace! I like hearing that other people think manatees are adorable. I think most people know that I love manatees, but not that I loved them for almost 12 years.
DeleteThank you Grace!
~Sydney
Amazing job Sydney! You really displayed your love of Manatees quite amazingly in this post! I also liked how you explained all your different experiences with Manatees, like the time when you finally got to swim with one! Would you ever consider working in a job that involved Manatees?
ReplyDeleteMuch Love
Alex
Thanks Alex! I'd love to be able to work with them some day.
DeleteThank you for your kind comments. :)
ReplyDeleteHi Sydney,
ReplyDeleteYour story was really nice. I probably did the same thing with my old stuffed animals. The part about you finding the second was funny, and how you would wear it on your head. Haha. In the beginning, I liked how you started off describing a story rather than talking about what your are writing about. Are the manatees soft? nice post
-Wyatt
Hi Sydney!
ReplyDeleteI love how your story is so descriptive and your story has amazing imagery. That's so awesome how you were so amazed by the manatees at the zoo and that you never ever got bored of manatees! Do you think that in your whole entire life, would you ever like an animal better than manatees?
-Sujala
Hi Sidney,
ReplyDeleteI LOVE THIS! I have a blanket and it is just like your manatee. My parents gave it to me when I was little. They were also afraid that I would ruin it so they got me three. I was sick one day and threw up all over all my stuff and they just wiped out a new one. I have had the same incident when I acdently found one in the closet that I wasn't supposed to know about. Do your siblings have anything special to them, like you? The post is very good and I had a blast reading it.
~ALLY