Monday, January 27, 2014

Being the Middle Kid at the Ellis’ is not as Easy as it Seems



Let me tell you about my family, the Ellis’. There is my older sister; Lauren, my younger sister; Hannah, my mom, dad, and then there’s me. I’m the middle one that has a harder job than Lauren, but easier than Hannah. I don’t have to do the dishes yet because I never do the dishes when I’m asked, oops, because I always forget. That’s who I am, I forget a lot, of everything. Lauren is at Duke now and isn’t home hardly ever. Hannah, when I’m frustrated or mad at her I call her Haggis, is in 5th grade at Catlin, watch out Paul, she’s headed your way!


The reason that I have a harder job than Hannah, is because I have to be a good role model, and everything I do influences Hannah. I have an easier job than Lauren, but only sometimes. I had an easier job than Lauren did when I was 6 rather than when she was 6 because Lauren basically started taking care of herself right when I was born, when Lauren was 6. I started taking care of myself at the end of last year and I’m still learning how. I didn’t have to start off when I was 6 because I still needed someone to take care of me when Hannah was born, I was 2 at the time. I have a harder job than Lauren did, and still does as a matter of fact, because I am different than she was and still is. I started at Catlin in Kindergarten and she started in 7th grade. The grade I’m in right now. I was a super easy baby and waited for my parents to pick me out of the crib. I could have been in the crib all day if they didn’t come wake me up, whereas Lauren would start screaming and then get pulled out of the crib. Also, I don’t talk much at the dinner table because my sisters have too much to say sometimes but there are days when its my turn to talk at dinner.
I am almost never the center of attention. I am in the center of the sisters yes, but my sisters are usually the center of attention because most the time I am quiet in public and I don’t like to talk to people I don’t know because I was taught, “Stranger Danger!” Hahaha, but even when I am in public I become the center of attention because of my hair, I can’t help it, all the time I have random people come up to me and start touching my hair. It’s crazy and I don’t like it usually because I don’t know the people that touch my hair. When I was little my first sentence was, “Don’t touch me.” I loved being little, those were the days. I could tell people what to do.
The new movie Frozen, me being Anna, I would do anything to help my sisters like Anna did going up the mountain to find her sister, and wanting to play with her even though she knows that her sister will probably say no. In other ways I also feel like I have friends that would say, “Some people are worth melting for.” ~ Olaf (from Frozen)
Being the middle kid in the Ellis’ family isn’t as easy as it looks and sometimes you get way too much attention. My family definitely has influenced my life, by a lot.  I like who I am, and would definitely be a completely different person if I weren’t the middle kid.

Sources:
My brain and my mom's camera pictures

22 comments:

  1. Your sisters are very lucky that, even as a 7th grader, you know how important you are to them.
    Cheers, Ellen (Paul's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've listed great examples of why it's not easy being the middle child. But you seem to have mastered how to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bailey,
    I'm the middle child also and I agree with everything you said. I liked the way that your post talked not only about the bad things about being a middle child, but the few good things too. I was wondering if the amount of attention you got changed when you sister went to college? I have great relationships with my siblings, but if we are playing a game, they tend to team up on me. Usually, I’m the one that the pranks get pulled on and if someone gets in trouble, most of the time it’s my fault, even if I didn’t do anything. I know that all families are different, but have you ever had any experiences like I just mentioned?
    Thank you so much, you blog was very fun to read!
    -Layton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Layton,
      When my sister went to college the attention did change a little bit but in the way that I have to take on more responsibilities and do more things, so it kind of changed in a negative and positive way if that makes sense. I have actually experienced all of the things that you mentioned, I pull pranks on them too of course get them back though. One of my favorite days of the year is April Fools Day because I get the chance to do this without getting in trouble. My siblings usually team up on me too when we play games but I have to play harder, and when I win I am proud of myself.
      Thanks for your comment,
      ~Bailey

      Delete
  4. Hello Baliey,
    I really felt your frustration, but I also felt all of the good things about being a middle child. I am the oldest child, but my sister is the middle child, and she has almost the same story as you. I sometimes think that my younger brother and I get way more attention than my sister does. I really enjoyed reading your piece and stepping into my sisters shoes.
    Thanks
    ~Sydney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sydney,
      My sisters do get more attention than I do, even my older sister and she is in college. She calls my parents almost every day to talk to them and my parents are always worrying about her. I wasn't saying that I don't get any attention at all, like when I'm on a trip, an outdoors trip for example, they do worry about me just as much as my sisters.
      Thanks for your comment,
      ~Bailey

      Delete
  5. I really liked your post. You really seemed to capture how it feels to be a middle child. I don't have any siblings, but a lot of my friends do, and they always say that even though they love their family, they sometimes wish they were only children. I think that you showed that being a middle child is hard sometimes but also fun at other times. I also really liked how you started the post. Your pictures were also SUPER cute!:)

    G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gracie,
      I really do enjoy having siblings, I'm sorry you don't, I know that most people that have siblings don't want them and most people that don't have siblings want them. I'm not sure if that's how you feel though. My sisters and I do get in fights and that is never fun, but in the end we always come back to being nice to each other.
      Thanks for your comment,
      ~Bailey

      Delete
  6. Hey Bailey,
    I love the pictures, they're so cute! I like how you considered both sides of the story when you were writing this. I am the oldest and there is no middle child in my family, just me and my brother. How has it changed since your sister went to college and you are the oldest kid in the house?
    Thanks,
    Haley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Haley,
      It hasn't really changed much since my sister went to college, I feel like she still gets more attention than me sometimes. She calls my parents almost everyday to talk to them. She is going to Honduras for spring break and my parents really wanted to see her during her spring break. They are going to worry so much, and I'm not saying that they worry about her more when she's gone, but she is gone almost everyday so they have more time to worry about her.
      Thanks for your comment,
      ~Bailey

      Delete
  7. Hi Bailey,
    I really love your post, and the pictures are adorable, too. I understand not being the center of attention. I'm not a middle child but sometimes I totally feel like that. I also am someone that is not very out there in public. I have some questions for you. What is something that you and your sisters do together? What is your favorite part about your sisters?
    thanks,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlotte,
      My sisters and I like to play games like Wii and all types of board games and card games. My favorite part about my sisters is actually having someone constantly bugging me when I don't want to do something, like homework. But that is also the worst thing at times. I also like always having company.
      Thanks for your comment,
      ~Bailey

      Delete
  8. Hi Bailey,
    I loved your post. It was so sweet to hear about such a strong bond between sisters! I loved the tie in to pop culture with the frozen reference. I feel like it's a bit choppy when you say like "haha" in the middle.
    Thanks,
    ~Josephine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Josephine,
      Frozen is my new favorite movie so I just had to put some of it's spirit in there. I have seen the movie 4 times! The bond between me and my sisters is very special and it could never be changed, except in a good way.
      Thanks for your comment,
      ~Bailey

      Delete
  9. Hey Bailey,
    Great Job! This is very relatable for me because I am the middle child as well. This is why I liked yours so much. Why do you enjoy your sisters so much?
    Much Love
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex,
      I enjoy my sisters so much because they always keep me company and can get me out of doing things I don't want to do, like homework, but that doesn't happen very often. When my older sister Lauren went to college things didn't really change very much. They have pretty much stayed the same.
      Thanks for your comment,
      ~Bailey

      Delete
  10. Hey Bailey,
    It was interesting to hear your take on being the middle child, because that concept is so foreign to me. I am the younger child, and I only have a WAY older brother. Because of this, I sometimes feel like an only child. I know everyone must feel like this, but I feel that being the younger child is harder, because my parents trust my brother more than me, and sometimes I feel like I'm in my brother's shadow. I was wondering if you're okay with not being in the center of attention? Also, because my brother and I are so far apart, we don't really fight so much. How much do you and your sisters fight? And do you ever wish you were the older or younger sister? Your post was really interesting to read, it was a different point of view than I'm used to.
    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bailey,
    I loved your post! I can really relate because I am the middle child too, and I feel like I get less attention than my siblings sometimes. Would you get really mad as a little kid when people would touch your hair? Did you ever wish you had different hair?
    Keep on posting,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bailey! I really loved reading your post! I LOVE your hair! It's so fun and bouncy to touch, and not to mention soft. I have never had siblings because I am a only child. Is it really fun? Is it sometimes a pain?
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Bailey!
    I really liked reading your post, because as a younger sibling well... :) I loved all the pictures, it was a great walk down memory lane! I thought the way that you related your 'jobs' was a great touch, and I really got a sense of your role in your family! Great job
    -Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Bailey,
    I really liked your post. I found it super interesting. I liked the Frozen reference. :) What is the hardest part of being the middle child? Keep posting.
    Cordially,
    -KAT

    ReplyDelete