Tuesday, January 31, 2017

La La Land: How I Relate

   
 I have always loved movies. Watching them with my parents, friends, and relatives has always been fun. I saw a lot of good movies in 2016. I really loved the dark humor and charm of Deadpool and the intense action of Rogue One. One movie really stuck out for me, though. La La Land was probably not my favorite movie of 2016, but definitely my 2nd favorite and favorite drama.
    


       La La Land is about Mia and Sebastian, both aspiring artists in Los Angeles. Mia wants to be an actor, but while her friends drag her to parties with more people who dream to become famous, she longs for something more. Sebastian is a failing jazz musician who feels like jazz is dying off, and wishes to make his own club. They meet, and at first find nothing in common, but slowly grow close. This was a very believable plot, and another great thing about the movie is the music.    
             I've always also loved music. Just like Mia in the film, I thought jazz was only elevator music, and that it sucked. I was proven wrong by this film's music. While the music is just a deviation on the four main songs of this movie which are all accompanied with beautiful dance numbers, the way the musicians twist it makes all of the songs special in their own way. All of the dance numbers are done amazingly and I have now danced many times in my kitchen to this soundtrack.
        I could relate to how Mia and Seb felt because one of the movie's big points is that you sometimes have to give things up for something else you want. I won't spoil the movie, but that ties in big. I could relate because when I came to my new school, I gave up most of my old relationships with other classmates. I had to trade in these people I knew so well for complete strangers. In the end it all worked out, and I made new friends, but I feel like a stranger when I say hi to old classmates on the street. 
       La La Land was a uplifting film that has complete potential to be a classic. It was definitely a love it or hate it movie, though. Its resemblance to old Hollywood musicals had me hooked all the way through. While this movie is a romance, it isn't inappropriate for younger audiences. I would give this movie a 9 out of 10, with its sweeping soundtrack, beautiful dance numbers, and relatable story.  
        










Sources:


18 comments:

  1. I appreciate your thoughtful review. I haven't seen the film but will add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Grace! I hoped people had watched the movie before they read this, but I guess if they haven't, I'm promoting a movie I love.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear DerpBoy,
    I really like your blog post and how you organized it. I like how you said your opinion on the movie and how you said you related to it. Did you expect them to get as many awards as they did at The Oscars?
    -KB Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi DerpBoy,
    I love the topic you chose because I have also seen La La Land so I could relate (especially to the jazz part). Would you say that La La Land deserved all the Oscars it got?
    Nice job,
    Tennis MS CGS

    ReplyDelete
  5. DerpBoy,

    I have yet to watch La La Land, and because of the recent controversy between it and Moonlight in the epic Oscars fail, there is lots of buzz about the movie! Now I will at least be able to say I know the plot of the movie, rather looking clueless whenever people discuss it! Would you say La La Land deserved the Oscar given to Moonlight?

    Best wishes,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete
  6. DerpBoy,

    I also really love watching movies, but sometimes I don't get the time to. I haven't seen La La Land yet, but not I really would like to see it. I have heard many great things about this movie. Do you think that La La Land deserve all its awards?

    -Ava

    ReplyDelete
  7. DerpBoy,

    I really enjoy reading your post! I also am very fond of La La Land, an I have encountered lots of haters. Why do you think this is? Also, should this be called a musical?

    -Pointe Shoe Lover

    ReplyDelete
  8. DerpBoy,

    I really enjoy reading your post! I also am very fond of La La Land, an I have encountered lots of haters. Why do you think this is? Also, should this be called a musical?

    -Pointe Shoe Lover

    ReplyDelete
  9. Derpboy,
    This entry is hilarious and informative! I love the quote "I have now danced many times in my kitchen to this soundtrack" . The plot is well described, and now I want to go see this. What is your favorite scene in the movie?
    -Davitts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Derpboy,
    I also really enjoyed la la land! what was your favorite song for the movie?
    -bumpsetspike

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Derpboy,
    Nice blog post! I saw this movie and I thought that it was really cool, and it was different that moves that I normally watch. Would you say that this kind of "musical" movie is your favorite?

    ~Dogdoo42

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear repliers,
    Thanks for all of your comments and thoughtful reading of my post! I do think La La Land deserved all of it's musical awards, and Emma Stone was a wonderful actress, but the whole fail thing.... I think La La Land wasn't the best movie of the year, but one of the best. I would definitely call this a musical. It has many musical pieces and is orchestrated in some parts like a Broadway musical. My favorite scene is either "Someone in the Crowd" or the Planetarium scene. My favorite song is "Someone in the Crowd" or "Another Day of Sun".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, DogDoo, I don't specifically enjoy musical movies the most. This is the first I've enjoyed a lot.

      Delete
  13. DerpBoy,

    I've never seen La La Land but the way you describe it makes me want to hang out on the couch and watch an uplifting movie. Is the film more focused on the jazz music or on romance?

    -ILoveBasketaball

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Derby,
    Wow, I have never shown such interest into a non-comedy movie! This was very well written without spoilers. And the award for best blog post goes too... normal boy! wait nope nope...derpboy!
    -JT

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Derpboy,
    I really liked to see how you related to this movie, and I too really enjoyed this movie. In what ways did you change your mind about jazz music throughout the movie.
    -Polarbear23

    ReplyDelete