![]() |
| Wieskirche, or Wies Chapel in Bavaria, Germany |
Look at the picture above. The ceiling looks arched, right? But really, it's completely flat. All of the intricate details and the perspective in which the painting was done contributed to the illusion that the ceiling is arched. The architectural model of the chapel began during the late Baroque period, and is known as the Rococo movement. Rococo architecture emphasized the asymmetry of forms, was done in very pale colors, and was very richly decorated, especially in gold. I find Rococo very interesting because of all of the intricate details in Rococo structures, which were all done with great care. Another thing that interested me in Rococo was all of the illusions. It was all about making something look grander than it really was.
Even though Rococo didn't catch on in Great Britain, it still left its mark in silverwork, porcelain, and silks. Rococo architecture coexisted with the Baroque style of architecture, and evolved from Baroque into a different style altogether. Rococo had similar designs to Baroque, but was lighter, more graceful, and much more elaborate than Baroque architecture. While Rococo emphasized asymmetry, Baroque was the opposite. The themes were also different, with Baroque architecture using religious or Christian themes, while Rococo’s themes were more lighthearted and less serious, using more of landscapes, dancers, and very nonreligious themes.
I think that both kinds of architecture are beautiful in their own way, but I personally prefer Rococo, because of the ornate details, the curvature of its buildings, and the way Rococo buildings were painted and decorated.
| The Rococo Basilica at Ottobeuren (Bavaria) |
Sources:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/05/Wieskirche_rococo_interior.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rococo#Architecture
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/BasilikaOttobeurenHauptschiff02.JPG
https://autocww2.colorado.edu/~toldy2/E64ContentFiles/PeriodsAndStyles/RococoStyle.html

Anaga,
ReplyDeleteI like the photos. The ceilings do look very arched. It is amazing that the artists were able to make the ceilings loot so arched when they are just normal. Have you ever been in a building with Rococo architecture? The artwork is so intricate. How did you learn about this type of architecture? Nice post.
-Isabel
Isabel,
DeleteI have never been in a building with Rococo architecture, but I'm interested in different types of architecture. I learned about Rococo from Paul when I mentioned to him that I wanted to do my post on architecture. Thanks for commenting on my post!
~Anaga
Anaga,
ReplyDeleteI like how you chose your topic to be about a type of architecture because most people chose a person or a specific time in a revolution (or the whole revolution). I was awed at how the ceilings are just flat and not curved. In your post you did a good job in explaining what colors were used in Rococo architecture. Have you ever tried to duplicate a Rococo architecture in a picture or painting?
Great work,
Lydia
I know I've never even heard of Rococo architecture. Your post was short and to the point, and that was a good idea because it helps people not get bored. The pictures really helped support your point. It looks like people put a lot of work and heart in their Rococo designs, and they really are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteAni,
ReplyDeleteI really like the architecture, it is beautiful! Your writing was as amazing as always. Was Rococo a type of painting or architecture? I think it was great, but could have been longer. Overall, it was a great blog.
Olivia
HI Anaga,
ReplyDeleteI think you did a really nice post! It was concise and interesting. I couldn't believe those paintings were flat! Why do you think Rococo didn't catch on as much in Britain? And what kind of person do you think became a Rococo artist? A commoner, nobility, or... probably not a priest. Great writing!
-Sarah D
Anaga,
ReplyDeleteThis is really interesting. It reminds me of music and the Rococo period in music which happened at about the same and contains the same little intricate ornaments and layers. This is a really descriptive post. Do you like Rococo or Baroque better?
Roy
Anaga,
ReplyDeleteThis is really cool. I like how you included detailed information about this style of architecture. Most of all, I like the pictures. They just about sum up the entire thing. Good job
Anaga,
ReplyDeleteI really liked all of the gorgeous photos of Rococo architecture. I really liked how you explained the photos, and compared Baroque architecture to Rococo architecture. I also liked how you spoke you spoke about your opinion on the two, and not just gave facts. When did Rococo architecture start to appear? Also, where did Rococo architecture originate? I thought your post could of been a little bit longer, but overall it was a good and to the point post. Thank you,
Piper