Monday, January 28, 2013

How Your Environment Affects Your Focus



             Do you ever listen to music when you do homework? Right before a big game? Well I've been wondering if this actually helps you. I'm also wondering if talking distracts people. You would think that everyone would get distracted, but some people I know beg to differ. I know that no one will ever know the answer to how your environment affects your focus because I think it is an opinion, but this is the best I have.
              It's different for everyone, but I know that music distracts me when I do homework. I do know that it helps me calm down right before I go on stage. I read online that music actually does stimulate parts of your brain to make you feel therapeutic. I also read on the New York Times that music helped people's focus the most when they were only moderately skilled at what they were doing. The people who were very good at what they were saw almost no effect, and the people who had done it for a short time found it distracting. I find this interesting, and my inference is that people who were very good would see no effect because they were so used to doing what they were doing, and the people who just started would find it distracting because they needed more focus to do an unusual task. The people who were moderately good at it were right in the groove of things, and it would help them go through their day. 
             Talking is a big part of school, but in study hall many people (including myself) find it distracting. Not just because of the noise, but the urge to go and join the people talking. It's hard to do math problems when everyone around you is talking and laughing. I asked my brother, Ethan Kizziar, about the topic. He said "It doesn't really bother me, unless someone is talking right at me." I think that my brother is the odd one out here, from just hearing people say "Be quiet!" or "Shut up!" in study hall, I take the hints that most people find talking distracting.
            Focus is one part of life that you will need again and again in life forever. When I go to a dance class, I have to focus on the choreography to get it right. When you run the mile, you have to focus on pacing yourself so you don't get as tired at the end. Anything you do in life takes focus, and your environment either takes it away from you, or it helps, it's your look on life.

Work Cited:
N.p., n.d. Web.
"How Music Affects the Brain: The Power of Music." Â». N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Jan. 2013.
Ethan Kizziar. 27 Jan. 2013.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Piper,
    I can tell that you did a lot of research on focus. I liked all of your thoughts. I can't focus in study hall when people are talking either. Do you think talking is similar to music? Is it okay to hear talking when you are moderatly skilled at something?
    - Celia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Piper,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. I think that all of us have had the experiences that you write about with talking, and music. I can tell that you did a lot of research on the topic, and you know what you wrote about very well. I love how you put many examples in your post so almost everyone can relate to it. Does talking work the same way as music where if you are very skilled there is no effect, if you are a beginner it is distracting, and if you are in the middle, it helps? You talked about your experience with talking,but do you think that music helps you focus on your homework? You wrote an amazing post.
    -Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Isabel and Celia. I think that talking is like music because it distracts me. I'm not sure if it is ok to hear talking when you are moderately skilled at something, that is something I will try to look for. Isabel, personally I do not like listening to music when I do homework, but I do know for a fact that some people like listening to music. Thanks for commenting,

    Piper

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Pip, nice blog. I like how you talked about your opinion and then asked your brother about what he thought, and then reflected on them. I also like your introduction and conclusion to the topic. Good job!
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Piper,
    Great blog! I think that music is distracting when I'm trying to concentrate. Even though most people would probably prefer no talking during study hall, I'm not really distracted by talking, or you could just say I'm like your brother. Also I liked the picture that you included, and I think it goes well with the blog. Do you know the amount of people that find noise distracting? Overall, this post is great, good job!
    Nathaniel

    ReplyDelete