Monday, March 5, 2012



Social Networking 


I am in the middle of a class project that requires me to spend much time on my computer.  With 43 total assignments, we have to type research and communicate through the Internet and computers. This much computer time is unhelpful for me because I get easily distracted checking my email, Facebook, Skype or YouTube.  These
sites, yet fun, stop me from putting 100% effort into my work. I spend about 2 hours of ‘homework’ a night, or so I think, when really half of that being distracted by Facebook.

When I am really into my homework, then decide to go onto a social networking site, the
thought and interaction suddenly goes away. The sites are a trap, once on, never off. If I
carry on with my homework once I have been on one of these sites, it’s hard to
concentrate when I know that Facebook is just a click away from what I am doing.
It’s nice having homework that can be worksheets or reading books, then I do not have
to run into this trouble, but being in seventh grade at Catlin Gabel with all the electronic
work, this is rare. I am happy when I can get all my work done quickly after concentration
and good work because then, I can go on Facebook and watch TV without any
homework hanging over my head.

It’s nice having homework that can be worksheets or reading books, then I do not have to run into this trouble, but being in seventh grade at Catlin Gabel with all the electronic work, this is rare. I am happy when I can get all my work done quickly after concentration and good work because then, I can go on Facebook and watch TV without any homework hanging over my head.

Most of my nights, after sports games or practices I spend my
time doing homework until I go to sleep. I get bored and watch
TV or do something else, which takes an even longer time to get
my homework finished. A good solution that I have found is
leaving my computer in a different room, when I know all of my
electronic homework is finished. I could also print things I need
to do that are accessible on the computer so I don’t have to run
into any distractions. This way I am not tempted to go on sites
away from my homework.

When I ask my friends about this problem, most of them have mutual feelings about this ‘problem’. They feel like when they tell their parents they are doing ‘homework’, they are usually on the computer doing something other than homework. I don't like when my mom nags me to do my homework when watching TV or having fun on the computer, but now that I think about it, when I listen to her I have finished homework quickly and with more concentration to make the quality of my homework better. I have found that doing homework that doesn't require a computer in another, quieter part of the house helps me get homework done with more effort because I don't have the distractions of my computer in my room. I get stressed easily but I feel this stress comes from doing things at night that are less important than school work and having little time to do the things that really matter. This makes me anxious that I will never get that work in on time or have enough time to do it, like in the Revolutions project.

I like having the freedom to do my own research on the Internet for the Revolutions project and finding out the facts by myself. Older kids that I have talked to have found that having a limited time a night on Facebook is helpful or even deleting it altogether if you are working on a large project that requires much effort, like the Revolutions project can be helpful too.

For me, working on the computer to do homework electronically  can be fun but also can take you away from the work that you are supposed to be doing. This is because of the distractions that social networking sites can cause and are a time-wasting trap.  For the Revolutions project we have a lot of work electronically and this makes it hard for me to get work done when having these sites a click away.

10 comments:

  1. Hey Bailey,
    I really liked your blog and I agree social networking sites really are traps. I face the same problems like texting and checking social networking sites while also doing homework. I think that you make a good point with that though they're really fun but that they are super distracting and time sucking. Do you think that over time you've managed these distractions better? Again, it was really good and I enjoyed reading it!
    -Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grace, Thanks for the comment. I have felt that over this project I have learnt that I need to concentrate on what I am doing without distractions so I make sure when I am done with some work on the computer, I close it. I have learnt that social networking takes time away from finishing this project and that it will only hurt myself at the end of the day. Thanks, Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bailey,
    I really like your blog! You have really good points. I agree with you that having homework on the computer makes it easy to get distracted, and you also have those temptations to go on a different site and do something else other then homework and you get distracted. I agree with you that working in a different room that your computers in would be very helpful. How do you keep from getting distracted when you have to work on your computer? Really good blog! You have really good points.
    -Allie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allie,
    Thanks for the comment. I have found that just closing down that tab or logging off to the site you were on helps me not to get distracted. Over the project I have gotten used to working on the computer and have not gotten distracted recently because I know that wasting time will only hurt myself, because at the end of the day, if I don't have the project done, it's my fault.
    Thanks, Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Bailey,
    I really like how in the frist paragraph you gave a lot of detail on the project we are working on. I some times have a problem with getting distracted, what would you do to help with that?
    Thanks,
    Annie H.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would say that keep off the computer as much as possible. When you are dont electronic homework, turn off your computer and do other homework that you can do with a book or on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bailey,
    I can totally relate to this topic! I feel the exact same way. I like the way you are so fluid with your post.Thanks for the advice on how to help my problems with procrastinating. Nice job Bailey!
    ~Carly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Bailey,
    I can also relate to this! It's hard to stay on task if your on the internet or if your logged on to Facebook because you might get notifications. If this happens I kind of get distracted. What are some tips or ways that help you keep your mind on the school work?
    -Yasmin-

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bailey,

    I wouldn't really know what you are talking about because I do not have any social networking sites to speak of, but I can see where you are coming from, I'm always checking YouTube to see if there is anything funny to watch, nice insight.

    Sincerely

    Miguel Gachupin

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that everyone has this problem even if they don't have social networking. YouTube is a way that can take time away from your work because you get caught into one video to another. I would say that staying away from your computer as much as possible is a tip and over time and over Revolutions I have gotten into a habit of knowing when to use the computer and when not to.

    ReplyDelete