Perhaps this is just me but when I learn something it sticks in my head better if the subject is interesting to me. When I first saw the that this was a long term project I groaned. I have never been exceptionally good at projects that aren't due the next day. I have before in the past saved a book report to the weekend before it was due, once even the night before it was to be turned in. When I looked over the green sheet one thing hit my eye as the hardest in the packet: The do-make, usually the do-make is the thing whole projects circle around. I knew, from the very beginning that I wanted to create a website, I had been doing one in art class so I knew the basics. I dreaded memorizing Wikipedia and Biographies to re-phrase it in my own words. I have always heard the name “Napoleon” but I never knew really who it was. When I looked into him I remembered hearing about him and his final battle, so I chose them as my topic(s). The Battle of Waterloo and Napoleon Bonaparte seemed incredibly interesting, so I decided to choose them as my topic.
When I first logged on to Wordpress (a great blog creator). I was hooked by the number of options for making my blog look outstanding. Then when I pondered on how to go about writing my first post it hit me. Why don’t I past the link into the browser instead of repeating the work I read into different words? That shortcut made it so much easier to enjoy and comprehend the biographies I read. I learned much more than I would have regularly while I sat their re-phrasing it. The battle of Waterloo was amazingly interesting and the movies and game I saw were entertaining to play as well as informative. In one short cartoony movie(Napoleon’s life)I learned the just of Napoleons life. In another game I learned how the tactics of Waterloo took place, and how if chosen differently could have been won by Napoleon(http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/bonaparte_napoleon.shtml). Napoleon was born 1769. At age nine his parents sent him to military school. He joined the winning side of the french revolution, and soon after became captain, then general, and last commander of the french army. He conquered most of Europe until he was handed over to the English by the French and sent tp St. Helena were he remained until his death in 1821 at the age 51. Napoleons final battle, The Battle of Waterloo, versus Wellington and Blucher was fought in Belgium on the year 1815. The winner was Wellington and Blucher which ended the Napoleonic era.
I recommend at least starting the stuff you find the most interesting and the most fun before you do the boring Shepperd software or the the incomprehensible lit packet. It helps you feel more at ease in this project and makes it feel almost fun, and a pleasure to spend your time on. Make it fun for the first part so you can ease into the other less enjoyable parts. It will go by fast and you will have the bulk of the assignment finished. (My Website)


Hi Gus,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I feel like I connected with dreading long-term projects. Have you ever made a website/blog before? Because your site was very artistic and handy, I enjoyed all the links and quotes you had on it. The design was also well matched with the contents. I enjoyed how first off all, you thought about what would be a fun way to learn. I also liked how you added part of your topic into your post, you summarized Napoleon's life very well, and most of all, very simply and quickly. I liked how at the end of your post, you gave advice to the reader about this project!
Very useful and interesting blog post!
~Claire
In answer to you question this is the 2nd blog I have ever made. The first was the Arts blog we posted our drawings in. Thank you for your response!
Delete-Gus
Hi Gus,
ReplyDeleteI have visited your website several times for doing research for my Do/Make and Teach-a-Class. You are right that re-phrasing what you read is tough, and I think that the links are very helpful. I also played both games a lot until I had beaten them. Knowing good tips for making a website can be useful for later projects, so I am glad that you posted this. I have one question. Did you think it was easy overall to make a website, or was it challenging.
Good job, Aidan
Hello Adian, In answer to your question about the challenging parts of making a website,my answer is, it was very easy the gather the links but took some times finding good ones, not like cheap renditions I've seen. I knew Wikipedia would be good enough not to read the full 50 pages, but for the videos I watched them and debated whether they were informative enough to put in my blog. Thank you for writing a meaningful reply to my blog.
DeleteInteresting idea's! Great post. I think that is a great idea and I didn't realize until now how important the do-makes have been to (at least my) revolutions project.
ReplyDeleteHi Gus,
ReplyDeleteI really like the topic you chose. I visited you website and it was really cool. I like the idea you had for you do-make. It was very creative. Do you think you know a lot more by just making a website? Great blog!
-Sage Yamamoto
Dear Gus,
ReplyDeleteGreat job on your blog post! I really enjoyed reading about Napoleon because I wrote about him to, and it was nice to hear another opinion on a topic that I consider myself knowledgeable on. I also liked how you included two topics in your post. How did you go about the planning for the project?
Great Work!
-Coleman Sherry
Hey Gus,
ReplyDeleteI like your ideas on how getting through the easier thing first makes the rest of the project seem more simple. I took an opposite approach, I got the lit packet and Sheppard Software done first then went on to the more fun activities like the Do-Make and Stain Glass. I can also see that you have learned a lot about the Napoleonic era and the reign of his rule. I found this post intriguing because of the approach of the project and the way you thought about Napoleon's era. So answer me this, if you had a chance to do the project over and you accepted it, what would you do differently, and would you change your study topic?
-javin
I would definitely have done chapter 7 first Javin. It makes the rest of the movie notes and every thing else super clear. I did that part last( which I regret doing. Although a part of it was I lost my book.If I had known everyone was doing Napoleon I would have switched to something more original. I would continue my plan of doing the fun stuff first, after I got chapter 7 out of the way.
ReplyDeleteThank you,
Gus