"Sure, you can talk badly about your younger sibling for hours on end to anyone who will listen, but if they dare to pipe in with their own statement, you'll probably bite their head off." - Insider
I’m older than my sister by 1 year, 336 days and about 3 inches taller, but I’ve been told that we look like twins. Whenever my friends see her, I notice that they always look at her and then at me and you can almost see their minds calculating how close in age we are. I know that my sister certainly looks older than 5th grade but I really don’t think we look like twins. Maybe people just tend to overestimate in age. But it also leads me to the question of do I look younger than a 7th grader? I really don’t think so. I’ve even heard someone say that she looks like a ninth grader, which somehow makes me feel like a lesser human being than her. What makes her look older than me? I’m taller, wiser (in my opinion), and stronger than her but yet the age mistake still manages to occur. But when I see her next to her 5th grade classmates, I start to see the difference and understand why this mistake might be made. People thinking that my younger sister is older than me doesn’t really bother me that much. The only thing is that it deprives me of the “older sibling” title, the privilege and the power of being the elder child.
I think that the "twin" mistake is almost acceptable because 1 year and 336 days isn't that big of an age difference, really. The difference is small enough to make it so it was easy to play with her when we were little, also it means she's old enough to watch The Office with me (actually neither of us are technically "old enough"). It's nice to be this close in age so that we usually side together when we need to overrule our parents. Together, we can almost always convince our parents to get us dessert, or let us stay up later than usual on a school night.
Of course, being an older sibling, I think that the older siblings should be given certain privileges and rights above the younger sibling. That means that I can pull the "I'm older than you" card whenever I want. But I can’t really say which position is better, because I have not experienced being a younger sibling in any way. I think that being and older sibling is pretty nice but it doesn't mean that you kind of have to make the path for your younger sister to follow. I know that my younger sister might not appreciate having a older sibling at all times, but hopefully she appreciates me at least sometimes, because older siblings (sisters at least) are pretty great for many reasons.
Number one; I give my sister all my hand me downs, which she complains about, but then continues to wear all of them. I must say that the fact that she wears a lot of my old clothes probably doesn't help people who think we are twins. Number 2; We share similar tastes in TV, music and pretty much everything so we can geek out together about what we love most. Although, I have to say it is a little bit annoying when she likes everything I like, it's like she's copying me or stealing my identity. So that's a downside to having very similar tastes. But she CAN thank me for showing her everything she loves. Number 3; I gave her advice about dealing with annoying people. Even though she maybe didn't listen to me, I feel like maybe I was helping (and hopefully I was).
Even though she annoys me a lot (especially when she she calls shotgun before me), I still appreciate her, and I sure hope she appreciates me. Older sisters should be valued because even if younger siblings don’t think of us as the best person ever 100% of the time, they do benefit from us. I also benefit from my younger sister in ways I might not see now, but eventually we’ll both see that 1 year and 336 days is not that much of a difference and that we are important to each other.
Sources:


Hi Tiny elephant,
ReplyDeleteI may be a younger sibling and not understand what people say when they say that younger siblings are so annoying. Though I do understand what a good blog post is and this is one. It’s clear you put a lot of work on this and it pays off! Your last paragraph is sweet. I have an older sister and she does help me but it’s impossible for her not to annoy me every now and then(or a lot). Would you rather be a younger sibling?
-FoxelephantVioleta
FoxelephantVioleta,
DeleteI definitely understand how you can be annoyed by your older sister because I think that's just the nature of sibling relationships. I annoy my sibling for sure! To answer your question, I do not wish I was a younger sibling because I enjoy the privileges that come with being the older sibling.
-tiny elephant
Hi Tinyelephant,
DeleteI definitely agree with what you saying. I definitely enjoy annoying my sister from time to time. I think younger siblings do need to have there older sibling as there growing up. It gets harder to be friends as you grow up though. I agree that sometime older siblings get a lot of privileges that make younger siblings mad. Is it harder being close in age? Would you rather be more that 2 year older?
-Slinymuffin
Hi tinyelephant,
ReplyDeleteI thought your blog post was really insightful and I loved how you talked about your benefits as an older sibling. I'm a younger sibling and I often enjoy the privileges of being younger but sometimes I wished I was older and your post helped me realize that there are benefits for both positions. I loved how insightful and detailed your post was as it navigated the hardships and benefits of being an older sibling. Do you ever wish that you were a middle child? And what do you think that would be like?
-Teeny Tiny Fury
Teeny Tiny Fury,
Deleteto answer your question, no, I don't wish I was a middle child because I think that you would have to deal with the down sides for both the position of the older and younger sibling. I'm pretty happy being the older sister.
tinyelephant
tinyelephant,
ReplyDeleteive read many blog posts and yours is likely one of my favorites, simply because of how honest you are throughout the whole post. your not afraid to talk about your emotions here regardless of the audience and I really admire that. sometimes people will think im just as old as my brother (he's 16 and im 13) and I kind of like it, maybe its because I dress older, act older, I dont know, but I feel more powerful when people call me older, its like im receiving more trust, respect. I understand how that might not be good for you though, if your sister is mistaken as being your age, I get how that might not feel so good. I can especially relate to the part about having similar interest. not necessarily with my brother, but sometimes I feel like people are very similar to me, which I dont mind, unless I believe they are doing it on purpose, which can get on my nerves even when I wish it wouldn't. this blog post was super fun to read, and incredibly relatable. if you could change one thing about your role as an older sister, what would it be?
thanks,
liv
liv,
DeleteI think I would want to change the fact that the older siblings kind of have to pave the road for the younger siblings sometimes. I'm not sure how you would do that, but that's my least favorite thing about being older.
-tinyelephant
Dear tinyelephant,
ReplyDeleteI love your reasons why you love being an older sister! I can really relate except the fact that my sister is five years younger, not 1 year and 336 days younger. I was wondering if you would mind telling me the advice you gave your sister about how to deal with annoying people. Maybe I could pass that along to my little sister one day!
Good work!
Hamilton9
Dear tinyelephant,
ReplyDeleteI really liked the way that your blog post sounded like a person was really talking. I think this made it sound more "real" and felt more honest. I personally can not relate because I am a younger sibling and my older brother looks much older, however I feel like through reading your post I understand how annoying that must be. What about her do you think makes her look older? Is it a specific thing or just everything?
-Hufflepuff Pride
Hufflepuff Pride,
ReplyDeleteI think the thing that makes my sister look older is probably her height. Also she dresses older, because of all my hand-me-downs, and I think that contributes to the overall "older" affect.
-tinyelephant
Tinyelephant,
ReplyDeleteI could relate to this post SO much being an older sister myself! I thought that the way you wrote this post was so great because of the honest, and "real" tone you used in you're writing. I also agree that we should be given more privileges, but exactly what kinds are you implying?
(P.S. that quote at the beginning was amazing.) :)
Awesome writing,
RisingSun13
hi tinyelephant,
ReplyDeletei enjoyed the start, when you said how much older your sister is than you, and when you said she was 3 inches taller, it made me laugh. What is a funny moment you and your sister experienced together?
Dear Tinyelephant,
ReplyDeleteI can relate to this SO MUCH. I have a little brother in fourth grade and he IS as tall as me. I think that the "I'm older than you is a great idea." What do you think would be the best way to have older siblings have more privileges than the younger BUT still have both siblings happy?
Sincerely,
Bozzy
Dear Tinyelephant,
ReplyDeleteI really liked the topic of this post. It hooked me onto every part and it couldn't have gotten any more relatable. It had a touch of humor along with the point you were trying to get to. Would you trade places with your younger sister at any point in your life?
Peace out,
Soccer is Life
Tinyelephant,
ReplyDeleteI also have a sister, but she is the older one. I, knwo from experience, you can sister will deffinately become closer as you two grow older. My sister and I used to fight over the dumbest things like who gets then bettr pen or other stupid stuff like that. She will appreciate you a lot especially when boys get added to the mix and outfit planning and buying clothes and typical teenage girl stuff, though you guys might not do that kind fo stuff. Even htough it is annyoign how she copies you and likes the same things, it helps becuase them she knows what's good and what's bad.
Do you sometimes feel like there are favorites? I do.
MM_Z
hi tinyelephant,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post because I could relate to a lot of it. I have been in some of the same scenarios, except instead of a younger sister, I have a younger brother. I also enjoyed reading this because of the small pieces of humor you fit in which made me laugh. if you could swap places with your younger sister, would you? why or why not?
- bug
Hi tinyelephant,
ReplyDeleteI'm actually a younger sister, not an older sister, but reading from the perspective of an older sister got me thinking about how different life can be depending if you're an older or younger sibling. Would you rather be an older sister, younger sister, or middle child?
Thanks,
AwesomePig