The Printing Press
Have you ever had to write a really long essay by hand? In the year 1420 most people had to write long books by hand. This all changed once the printing press was invented sometime between 1440 and 1450.
The early printing press, while very basic, made many more books published and it also made many more people literate. The early printing press was very basic, it basically was a bunch of letter stamps fastened into a board and they were all dipped in ink and then lowered onto a page of a book and they would make that page. This made it much easier to publish books and the rising amount of books encouraged more people to become literate.
This early, very basic printing press still affect things today. It soon became more popular to read books after the printing press was invented so the demand for printing presses went up. This demand for more printing presses made many inventors wonder if there was a better way to print books so they started inventing new ways to print things. All thin eventually turned into a appliance that many people might have in their house and that is really useful even for printing this article right now, if you haven't guessed what it is yet I’ll tell you, it is simply known the printer or printing machine. Now you might be thinking, “Well I don’t print books on my computer,” if you are one of those people then you should know that there are huge factories that print books now. We can now even print 3-D things using printers.
Now you might be wondering why I like the print press enough to write two pages about it. The answer is I love to read. If the printing press wasn’t invented about 566 years ago then we might not have as many books now and many people, including me, might be illiterate today.
http://i1.tribune.com.pk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/617241-Books-1381638164-211-640x480.JPG
Dear Braden,
ReplyDeleteYour piece is very compelling, showing how lucky we are to be able to experience reading and writing. My question is, where was the printing press invented.?
Sincerely,
William
Thanks William for your comment. As for your question the printing press was invented in Mainz, Germany.
DeleteBraden, I really enjoyed your informative post! My question is because people had to write books by hand, would the books be shorter?
ReplyDeleteBowen
Thanks for your comment Bowen. As for your question books usually weren't written unless they were very short or they were religious texts which were usually very long.
ReplyDeleteBraden,
ReplyDeleteThis post made me think about what lucky people we are to be able to have access to technology like computers to write books and essays much more easily. Question: If the printing press were to be invented today, how would it replace current technology?
Great Post!
Rylan
Thanks for your comment Rylan. As for your question if it was created today then it would not really out compete current printers
DeleteBraden, I really liked your post, it was informative, but also very fun. the post ran very smoothly and just sounded good in general. My question was, how heavy were the original printing presses.
ReplyDeleteAndrew
Thanks for your comment Andrew. As for your question I do not know how much it weighed but I know it is about 90 inches tall.
DeleteDear Braden
ReplyDeleteI love how you show how the printing press has affected us today. Have you ever thought how our society would be different had it been invented later, or not at all?
Sincerely, Eric
Thanks for your comment Eric. As for your question I think that most people would be illiterate if it had not been invented.
DeleteHey Braden,
ReplyDeleteI loved how you described how these printing presses affected the people in that time period. I wonder if you could maybe relate this subject more and maybe what has replaced the printing press?
Thanks,
Michael
Thanks for your comment Michael. As for your question the printer has replaced the printing press
DeleteDear Braden,
ReplyDeleteI like how at the end you revolved it by saying why you're even writing this about the printing press, earlier I knew nothing about it. How would life be different besides illiterate people?
Sincerely,
Adam
Thanks for your comment Adam. As for your question there would be much less books. Also think about how many books you have at school, Most of those you wouldn't have.
DeleteHi Braden!
ReplyDeleteYou did a really nice job on the blog!
I liked how your blog was super informative and it had a sort of informal tone to it that made me want to keep reading. In your article you kept referring to "inventors". Who were the people or person that invented the printing press?
-Hannah
Thanks for your comment Hannah. As for your question the inventor of the printing press was Johannes Gutenberg.
DeleteBraden,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post!
You gave a lot of detail and I thought that starting off with a question was really interesting. Why was the printing press made if people weren't literate?
Great job!
-Thea
Hi Braden,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post and how you formatted it.
My question is, did the letter stamps have different fonts?
Thanks,
Jade
Dear Braden,
ReplyDeleteI to love to read. It is a fun exercise to work your brain. Question: Were woman able to print books as well?
Braden,
ReplyDeleteI really like your blog post, especially how it has to do with reading because I love to read. The printing press really draws me in from the start, and is really informative about what we wouldn't have without it. My one question is how many books do you usually like to read? Great work!
Sincerely,
Rachel Y.
Hi Braden!
ReplyDeleteI liked reading your blog post! It was very detailed. It would be so hard to write everything by hand! Have you ever used a typewriter or printing press?
- Mikayla
Hi Braden,
ReplyDeleteI loved the detail of your post. One question: If you had to write a book using a typewriter, what type of book would it be?
-Anushka
Hi Braden,
ReplyDeleteI can't even imagine having to write a whole book by hand! Especially all by myself! My question for you is, who invented to printer? You did not name the person.
Good writing,
Ayla
Dear Braden,
ReplyDeleteI really, really enjoyed your post and all the information you had. But my question is where was the first printed press invented?
Thank you,
Cai
Dear Wonderful Braden,
ReplyDeleteI loved your heartfelt connection with reading. I can really relate to that because reading is wonderful and I too, love it very much. I t was fascinating to see what simple technology the old printing machine was made of. My one question would be, why didn't you show people how new printers function compared to old ones?
Love,
Miles
Hi Braden!
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you showed how people nowadays can just print something out in a personal printer and how you showed how the older printers worked compared to the new ones
My Question is: if nowadays printers are so much better, what do you think that even more advanced ones are going to look like and function?
Great post!
Thanks!
-Alec
Dear Braden,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how your post had lots of interesting facts! My question to you is who first invented the printing press?
-Emma
Hi Braden,
ReplyDeleteI like how you talked about the significance and impact that this invention has made on the modern world, as well as you, personally. I liked all of the facts you included, as well as your personal connections. What do you think would be different if the printer press had never been invented? Great job!
-Margot
Dear Braden,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed how you showed the importance of the printing press in you life and how you explained the consequences we would have if it were not invented. How important is the printing press to aspects of your life other than reading and school?
Dear Braden,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed how you were really detailed about the presses history. My question is, who invented the printing press
Hi Braden,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your post. I liked that you talked about how big of a deal it was to invent the printing press. Who invented the printing press. Also, why do people not know the exact year it was invented?
Good Job,
Julia
Dear, Braden
ReplyDeletei liked how you took something from the past, but we can relate to today. Who helped invent the Printing press?
Dear Braden,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post. It had tons of great information! I liked how you talked about what some of the consequences of not having the printing press may have been. I also really like to read, and I had no idea that the printing press was so important! Who developed the printing press, and when was the modern printer invented?
From,
Riley
Braden,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog post. It included a lot of great information. Up until now I never knew the printing press was so important. If the printing press had never been invented how would that affect you today? Nice Work
- Isabel
Braden,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your blog post. I too love books and reading. I just have one question, how did the invention of the printing press effect the people already writing by hand? Did they go out of business? Did they switch to this new invention?
Braden,
ReplyDeleteWow! I never knew the printing press was so important! Thank you for the detailed history of something I never even though to acknowledge! I guess it is pretty important though! How laborious would it be to write everything by hand?
Best,
-Flexi
Braden,
ReplyDeleteThis is such a fascinating topic! I completely agree with you, way to hard to write everything on hand! To create a modern printer, did they take the invention of a printer press and slowly changed it?
Nice job!
Best
-Lion