Monday, October 22, 2012

Boundary Simulation Debrief

Please REPLY to this blog post.  DO NOT post to your own blogs.  In your reply, please answer the following questions as fully as you need to.  There is no limit to the length of your reply.

The following questions are about your role/feelings/participation in the boundary simulation activity you just completed.

1.  What was your group like?  Give a concrete example or two.
2.  What did YOU do to help your group achieve its goals?
3.  Is there any real life situation in the world today which reminds you of this activity?
4.  How did you feel during the activity?  Did you ever feel frustrated?  How do you feel about your group now?
5.  Was this activity helpful to you?  Why/Why not?

http://programmedevelopment.com/public/uploads/images/orange_figure_showing_chart_pc_1600_wht.png
http://www.lankachannel.com/icon/news/Debrief_News.jpg

57 comments:

  1. 1. Our group consisted of four people, Rachael, Victor, and the 2 Sarahs. We were pretty focused, ideas were coming up left and right, and I think we were pretty solid.

    2. I made a mini slideshow and the song.

    3. This sometimes happens in Spanish, but the difference is minimal.

    4. I never got frustrated, but I wasn't overjoyed when Victor forgot to wear purple. Again, our group was very solid and we got it done.

    5. This activity is in the "I have no idea" zone. I mean, life's not always fair (in fact, it's almost never fair) and we need to learn to deal with it otherwise we are not going to last long. So yeah, it was helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1- My group consisted only of Silas and myself. I think that we worked very well together given that we had no disagreements and we shared some similar ideas. When writing about our culture we had lots of great ideas coming up with the belief system that trees are sacred. The reason for that being that every tree is brown on the inside but they all had different leaves in different shades of green. Just how people consist of the same materials but let their originality show on the outside.

    2-I (specifically) wrote a song complete with lyrics, musical score, and performance. I also collaborated with Silas on creating our belief system and flag.

    3-The situation reminds me of how people at our age sometimes are dying to be in one (social or academic) group only to find once they have joined that the underdog prevails in the ends. (sometimes that happens)

    4-Never along the road was I frustrated. I know this may seem a bit strange being that I was in a group with only two people but it is very true. At first I was a little bit confused because I automatically thought that it would be more work for Silas and I because we had two people as appeased to nine. Then I thought that he and I are friends and both hard workers so even with the lack of people the message in the end would be just as rich and we would hopefully have an end product with the same or greater quality.

    5- I would say that this activity was very helpful for me because it made me have a better understanding of the concept of minority as appeased to majority. It was also very fun to create a culture and compose my first song!

    ReplyDelete
  3. .My group was very nice. They all wanted to learn which was shown in there eagerness to all participate in our song and flag which we all did.
    I think I did a good job organizing everybodies job and contribting in the actual labor which some leaders don't do.
    It happens everywhere with millions of people which i think is bad because it means some people have much more power than other people. I think the activity was really cool and i felt like part of a team during the activity and i was never really frustrated. well I feel like I know them better and we are part of a team.I think the activity was definitly helpful in showing how that can happen without people even noticing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly think our group wasn't the most focused, attentive group, but rather a go-along-with-anything, just-get-it-done kind of group. For example, when we were trying to pick a song, we were sort of messing around and just listening to different music, and sort of talking about other things. What I did to help my group achieve the goals was I helped a lot with making the flag, and I had the idea that each of us should have a superpower, which related to out "Superman" theme. Also, I changed the lyrics with the rest of my group, but I think that the song still wasn't too original.

      I think that there's not really a serious real life situation relating to our group work and theme, but to the overall project there are plenty of examples. For example, the vast minority of America (the 1%) has the most power. I think this is true because is most people had power, then they wouldn't really actually have "power" over others, since most other people would have power as well, creating a conflict. In our activity, nobody really had power over the others since we were just presenting, and also it just - ahem - so happened that the two best singers were in the small group.

      During the preparation of the activity, I was sort of thinking, "Oh this is sort of fun, but we should change the song, because this isn't making it original" however, the rest of my group said it was fine so we left it. Also, we were all supposed to practice out song so we could all sing it, which didn't end up happening... I felt pretty frustrated though because nobody was really making an effort to make this an outstanding performance, the people were just like "Oh yeah, the others will do this, it's fine." However, one person in our group was not there when you assigned us this activity, yet he was the one who sang the song, so I feel bad that he had to do it when he wasn't even there.

      Delete
  4. 1-My group had three others besides myself, Ben, Freddie, and Liam. We immediately (kind of quickly I guess) split up. While working we discussed what our belief system was, and what each color standed for.

    2-Our group separated out and went into doing our own thing. Ben and I worked on the flag until Liam and Freddie needed a beat for our rap. You might have already guessed-Liam and Freddie worked on the song. After that filling in the squares was harder but in the end we all needed to work on them.

    3-I didn't really get reminded of anything but it does make me think of how grades are basically divided into circles-like popular kids all hang out with popular kids. I think that it is also true with boys.

    4-I didn't really express any anger and I don't think that I ever felt it. I wasn't upset when Ben had to help Liam and Freddie with the beat I just thought that it would be a challenge to fill in all the squares since the ink in the pens were dying :)

    5-I think that the activity was helpful because it was interesting to see what other belief systems, colors, and shapes people had to work with. Overall I think that the flag turned out pretty well and Liam and Freddie created a nice rap that involved our four purple gods and what the red stands for-they also included our fav. foods-enchiladas and shirley temples! YUM YUM

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well my group was nice and I thought everyone collaborated well and there weren't any arguments. I came up with rules and part of the religion. There isn't any situation in the world right now that I know of like that. I felt kinda tired but I got through it but I felt frustrated and I feel fine about my group now. This activity showed how you can benefit from a bigger or smaller group and I thought it was helpful

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. My group had Timmy, Dedaes, Leslie, Elliott, Marcell, Anaga, and Olivia. Our group was big, but the work was divided up unevenly.

    2. I was sick that day so I couldn't do the work.

    3. It reminded me when people want to be in the big group, but in the end, only a few people actually work which means that your ideas wouldn't be incorporated.

    4. I felt a bit very inactive during the presentation because I wasn't sure what to do.

    5. This activity was helpful because made me learn that bigger groups aren't always better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. I had a pretty good group. One major setback, though, was the fact that we had a really big group with nine people. I think that our group did a good job of dividing up the work evenly, and everyone contributed to the three aspects.
      2. I helped color in the flag and helped brainstorm a list of the yellow circles ideas and beliefs. I also talked in the presentation.
      3.I feel like this happens in the world today all of the time. Whether it's on a small scale like what we did in class today or whether it's a real world big problem, this kind of thing occurs everyday. Think of the people in each group as money. The groups or countries with more people/money have more ability do get things done well than the poorer countries with not as much people/money.
      4.I think that this was a fun activity and I had an active and participating group. I wasn't ever frustrated, but I think that working with a group of nine people is tough when doing a relatively small activity.
      5. I think this activity was helpful. It provided insight to bigger problems, and made you think. I think that the smaller and larger groups were a good part of the activity.

      Delete
  8. 1 My group made up of Ethan and I. I think we did an ok job together but Ethan was absent for 2 days and that made it very hard to do the project. When it came down to presenting I thought that we could have improved our poster and added more to our original song. Not having Ethan there on the presentation day was difficult because he was supposed to talk about beliefs and he wasn't there so I had to remember them.

    2 I wrote and did the music for the song on garage band and Ethan sang the song and did the flag. We both made the beliefs.

    3 This reminded me of when someone thinks that having less people will be a disadvantage, but really it can help you a lot, because there are less people shouting at each other.

    4 I was never really frustrated when I was doing this project, but when Ethan was not there on the presentation that kind of brought my hope in this project down a little.

    5 This helped me because I learned that it does not matter how many people you have in your groups, but how well you work together. I also enjoyed making my own song with Ethan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. My group consisted of two people, Maggie and I. We worked really well together, but since there were only two of us we were rushed and didn't finish our project in the twenty minutes given to us. We were not able to create a song, make a belief chart, and a flag in twenty minutes with just the two of us. Maggie was in charge of making the flag, and I was in charge of the beliefs and our god, and we both were going to do the music together.

    2. I worked on our belief poster, what we liked, why, and who our group was.

    3. This stimulation reminded me of invisible boundaries between us, and situations where you value your group above anybody else's. I felt that this was like segregation. We were all separated by our colors, and shapes.

    4. I felt really worried that we would completely fail at our project at the start, and that we had the most boring uninteresting group ever. I never felt frustrated because I knew that we were both doing as much as we could as fast as we could.

    5. This simulation was helpful because it showed us that you don't have to obey the boundaries, if they are invisible and you can do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. My group was a kind of big, it has nine person working in it but it did work. All of us proposed some ideas that help us to organize what we was going to do. Some ideas was really crazy, but we just have a lot of fun working together.

    2. Every one in my group wirk a lot, the girls was working in the flag and the boys were working at our song. I think did divide our work in very good way so it works. I help to paint the flag and proposed some ideas for the flag.

    3. Yeah, in this activity we work as a group, and we get our goals in it, but at the same time we enjoy to being together and work.

    4. I feel very comfortable with my group. We try to put all of our ideas, if it wasn't to crazy, in the work , so we can have a work that all of us like it. Now I still think that my group is one of the best and I wasn't frustrated.

    5. I think that this work help me a lot to get communicated with the rest. I also think that it help me to know how to work in group, that i mind use in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. My group worked really well together. We listened to echothers ideas, and were open to doing things differently than just what we wanted. Long story short no one said my way or the high way!

    2. I helped with brain-storming ideas for our flag and I help to make it.

    3. A real life situation like the one in class, working in groups to basically make a community, would remind me of a democracy because I feel like everyone in our group got there voice and opinion herd which is how a democracy ideally would work.

    4. I think our group feels very accomplished now. We worked together to make a flag and song we all like. Also we all had a good time. Know one got frustrated or didn't get to be 'part' of the group.

    5.This activity helped me learn that some times it's helpful to have a bigger group, for example we had some people work on the song well others made the flag.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. My group was the yellow circles. We had lots of people in our group because we were Group A. In my group, we sorta divided ourselves into doing each part of what we were suppose to do. Some people in our group slighty excluded other people in the group from what they were doing...

    2. I help a bit with music, mostly did the beliefs, and touchups on the flag.

    3. School. Specifically Middle School. Everyone talks in group, in catorgies like the popular kids and maybe the dancing kids, or the silent kids. This activity reminded me of this.

    4. I was slightly annoyed that people in my group who were really good friends wanted to do one thing instead from spreading themselves out and somepeople in my group got excluded.

    5. I guess I could say it helped. It shows that you can be free and do what you want to do, such as being a rebel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. My group consisted of Ben, Lydia, Freddie and I. We were very quick off the bat, and we quickly divided up the work into equal parts and got started. This proved that we were a very productive and efficient group.
    2. I worked mostly on our beliefs, and my other group members worked on the flag and the song. I helped our group along when it came to staying on-task and focused. We finished our project but our flag could have used some work.
    3. It reminds me mostly of pop culture today, and how we separate ourselves from others even though we more in common than we don't.
    4. I felt very at ease and relaxed for the most part of the activity. Frustration was not something I felt during this exercise, and I think this was due to the lack of obstacles that presented themselves to our group. The activity bonded my group, and I feel we've come a long ways.
    5. It was helpful to see how this activity brought out the pride felt by many people just because they're told they are special/different. It helped to see that many separated themselves from others from merely being on the other side of a table. It was very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. My group was the biggest group in the class and I feel like it was too big to be productive. One example is when we were coming up with ideas for the song, one person just decided the song, instead of taking in other people's ideas. One time the group worked well together, while making the flag. We combined ideas to make a superman, with rainbows and a circle. While doing this we created a hand-sign to match.

    2. I edited most of the lyrics, and rehearsed a bit. I also helped to come up with the flag, and color it in.

    3. All of the presentations of class were examples of what went wrong in the group activities. The activities remind me of all the wars going on and how people tend to go with the larger thing, and don't even stop to think about anyone else.

    4. I felt okay about the activity, and when Paul explained that it was about teamwork I just smiled. I thought it was funny because my group had some issues communicating with one another, so that made us a pretty unsuccessful lot. I felt pretty irritated at the people that didn't listen to my ideas, but besides that it was alright.

    5. This Activity was helpful to me because it showed that you don't always need to go with the biggest or best group. It also showed how well the student collaborate with eachother, such as listening to others ideas, and taking them into account.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1 i had the big group and we got a lot done we kind of split into groups like flag song and beliefs
    2 so in my group i worked on the flag and i picked the song
    3 cant think of one now but im pretty sure there are a lot
    4 I had a great time and I never got frustrated after you talked to us i felt kind of bad because we didnt help the brown group
    5 sure it helps me understand that sometimes you forget that other people need more help than you need and help them

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1.My group was the yellow circles. We had I think nine people in our group which is a lot compared to the other groups. I think people got split up into different groups to do different things.I think that for the part I was there for some people in my group had good ideas but they weren't listened to.

    2.I didn't do much on helping the group achieve there goals because I missed the day that it was assigned but when we had to make the flag into everyones flag I contributed to some of the ideas.

    3.This reminds me of school mostly because sometimes we are put into big groups or small ones and I think its easier to work in small groups because it gives you a chance to listen to everyones Ideas.

    4.I never really got frustrated but that could just be because I wasn't there for the whole project.

    5.I think it helped me because it helped me understand the idea or working in groups of majority rather than not.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1.My group was very small it was just me because I was an observer. I did have stewart who was also an observer with me.
    2. Well our goals were to observe what we say and I did a pretty good job with that. I wrote a lot
    3. It reminded me that sometimes people want to be in a certain group but cant because of made up boundaries.
    4.I got frustrated when paul would say I was not allowed to talk or comunicate to other groups and that was very hard.
    5. I felt it was but not during the assignment, only after when you told us how it was about boundaries did it make sense,

    ReplyDelete
  19. 1. I was kind of my own group. I was an observer with abbey, so I was just on my own because we went really working together, but we did get together once in a while and discuss what we saw.
    2. Because I was an observer, I just went around and listened to what different groups were talking about, and tried to figure out if there was conflict in groups, and how they worked together.
    3. This project made me think of the wars that are going on in the world and how usually, the bigger group would win a fight or have more power, but I think that in my class, the group with the least amount of people did the best presentation which is kind of like what is happening in south Africa where the whites are overpowering the blacks, yet there is a much bigger population of African Americans.
    4. I did get kind of frustrated because I was just walking around observing what was going on, and at some points, I really wanted to say something about project or give out an idea, but I had to keep it to myself. It felt like not having a voice and not being listened to because I couldn't say any of my thoughts towards a project.
    5. I think it helped me understand that majority can be a big thing towards a war, which is usually the case, but not always, like what’s happening in South Africa. Paul showed me that if everyone voted for themselves, which would probably happen, the bigger group would win, because they have over half the students in the class, and before Paul said this to me, I couldn’t see it for myself, but realized that it wasn’t very fair for the other teams.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1. Are group was organized but we goofed off a lot.

    2. Whenever my group got off task I helped them get back on task.

    3. This activity reminds me of my every day school life.

    4. At times I felt frustrated because I felt like I was not being heard. But I think our group did a pretty good job.

    5. I think it helped me because it showed me that a minority group can be just as good if not better than majority groups

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1.My Group was very productive and we got all of our work done early, but sometimes some people didn't do what the were supposed to do for hw but it was o because we worked together to fix it.

      2.I helped organize our group and made sure everyone had something o do, I also did mos of the flag

      3.This activity reminded me of the "Clicks" in our every day school life

      4.sometimes I felt a little bit frustrated that people didn't do all of there work but most of the time I felt like we were being extremely productive.

      5. It was helpful for me because It made me think more about groups and how productive and inclusive we can be.

      Delete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 1. Our group was very focused at times, usually while trying to complete the flag. Before we felt the deadline closing in, we were quite silly.
    2. I helped to design and color in the flag. I also helped with beliefs and made the music for our song.
    3. When working on any group project
    4. I felt at ease until the last 5 or 10 minutes, in which I got very stressed out. I feel much better about my group now than I did during the project.
    5. I think that this was quite enlightening and helpful. I had never really thought of life as the choice to be in the inority or majority and what that actually meant.

    ReplyDelete
  23. 1. My group was the middle group. It was just the right size, not too much commotion and disorganization because of being too big or having too much work to do because of being too small.
    2. To help my group achieve its goal, I made a song for my group. In the later group, I helped with making the flag.
    3. In my last presentation, I studied South Africa. The majority group were the white people and the minority groups were the different groups of African people. The minorities stood up to the whites but it was probably very hard because of the size of their groups.
    4. I thought that the activity was fun. I liked the size of my group because I could focus on what I was doing better and I had my ideas acknowledged. In my later group, I think that some people's ideas were not heard as much as in the smaller groups.
    5. I think that this simulation was cool because it made me think about stuff that I would never think of thinking of. I also liked what Paul said at the start of class about boundaries and how we created our own boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
  24. 1. My group was very small, it was Isaac and I, but he was gone for part of it
    2. I think that both Isaac and I did an equal share of the work because we didn't have a big group to rely on.

    3. It reminds me of how in school there are some academic and social groups that range in size.

    4. Most of the time I liked being in a small group because you didn't have to struggle to get your ideas heard, but I got a little frustrated that we didn't have very many people to help do the work.

    5. I think it helped me realize that when we are in a group we usually stay with that group.

    ReplyDelete
  25. 1.Our group included myself, Celia, Will, and Guy. Overall, we worked very well as a group. We divided the work up evenly and everyone felt like they had contributed.

    2. I helped design and work on the flag. Celia and I drew out several drafts, then used markers to draw the final product. It was a big job and we didn't really end up finishing.

    3. I did a presentation on Indonesia, and it reminded me of this activity. It did because Indonesia is currently slip up into multiple groups of culture, languages, beliefs and religions. Some of the groups are bigger and wealthier, and some are poor and smaller.

    4. I felt good about this activity. I didn't ever feel frustrated, and kept optimistic that we would get all of the work done, even though in the end we didn't. I still feel the same way about my group.

    5. This activity was helpful for me. It helped me understand how smaller groups feel compared to bigger groups. I think that it is important for people in America to know about this stuff because most people come from wealthier backgrounds, so it is important for them to understand the other point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  26. 1. My group consisted of four members: Sarah D., Sarah B., Victor and myself. We were the purple squares group. Right off the bat, we had a lot of ideas that we each had come up with, and we never really ran out of ideas or got stuck on a question. For example, on the question where we had to explain our beliefs, we had a long list within the first five minuets of starting, because we had so many ideas.

    2. To help my group achieve success, I took the flag home over the weekend and finished it. I also shared my ideas on the questions, and helped my group out if they had questions or were confused.

    3. I think that in real life, South Africa has the same problems with minority and the majority. It can cause problems because sometimes the smaller party has more power over the larger party. Also sometimes there is conflict over who should get the power.

    4. At first, I felt that it wasn't fair and I was confused on why Group A had so many more people than our group. However, after we got started, we all had great ideas and were actively participating in the activity. Looking back, my group did an excellent job and we had a strong presentation.

    5. This activity was extremely helpful because it taught me about majority and minority, and what pros and cons can come from both. It also allowed me to work effectively in a group and best of all... it was a super fun and interactive assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  27. 1. I was in the big group that did the yellow circles, there were 9 people in my group and I thought that was good because we could evenly distribute the work among us, like when we had to draw the circles, come up with a belief system, and find or make a song.
    2. sense there were so many people in our group I think that it was hard for everyone to do a even amount of work, but I drew a circle and a square.
    3.I think it was because none of the people in our group went to help another group and I bet that is happing somewhere in the world
    4.I liked the activity because it was fun and our group worked together super well.
    5.I dont think it was because we have a lot of group project so I learned nothing and I dont think this is a good real world problem simulation thing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. 1. My group was medium sized, we had marium, alon andrew, and me
    2. All of us did an equal share, alon and andrew worked on the song, while marium and i worked on the flag and other things
    3. Probably buisness, because it reminds me that not all things in life are fair, and that you have to compete against other "companies."
    4. I liked a medium sized group because we had enough people to do all of the jobs, but not too may that we had people slacking off and just not helping
    5. Yes because we had to work togather to complete a simular goal, which we will be doing all of our lives. This will help us prepare for when we have to do this later in life.

    ReplyDelete
  29. 1) My group was group A. I thought that the size was good, because if we needed more people we would have enough. Sometimes there were people standing around, and not really knowing what to do. It was sometimes hard to govern, or make sure all the ideas were heard, and the everyone like the decisions we were making.

    2) To help my group, I did most of the flag, in the beginning and the end. I also did some presenting too.

    3) Our situation was a little like the people in Indonesia. We were 'over populated' and it was hard for us to govern and make decisions.

    4) I never really felt unhappy with my group. I thought that everything went smoothly during the activity, and I really liked the people in my group. In the end I didn't like the new group I went to. I thought that things were messy sometimes, and a little unclear.

    5) I thought the activity was helpful, because I got to see what it was like to be in the 'lead' group, and then what it was like to have to leave and go to another group. I also think the it was helpful to see that we aren't alway willing to help others, because no one went to the C group that only had two people. This was a big eye opener, and it showed that when we get put into groups we sometimes set our own boundries.

    ReplyDelete
  30. 1. My group was group B, with Sarah B, Victor, Rachel, and myself. I think that would be a good size if we all got along, although some of the people is our group were pretty loud so I felt like I didn't have as much of a say in what we were doing. For example, for a long time Victor insisted that our song was a stupid song about cornfields or something. For a REALLY long time.

    2. I mostly contributed ideas, such as rituals and beliefs, but I remembered to wear purple, which is more than I can say for some of my group. I also helped design the flag and color a little bit of it.

    3. This makes me think about how sometimes you are really disappointed to have to do something or be put in some group, but then afterward you decide that your thing was definitely better. Sometimes you are also in the other group, which you are sure will be great but isn't.

    4. I liked this activity, but I thought that I would rather be in the group of two people, because that would be less confusing. It surprised me when the two observers wanted to be in group A, because I really didn't. I never got super frustrated, just small annoyances.

    5. I think this activity made me think about groups and stuff. I would never have thought much about that on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  31. 1) I loved my group. We worked well together and we had everyone have there ideas heard. When we were making the flag we all put our ideas into it.

    2) I worked draw the flag and thought of ideas for what are realign and beliefs were. I also helped with trying to figure out what needed to be done for the presentation.

    3) Well, I don't have many but I know of some. For larger company's it is hard for people to get heard if there not very high on the food chain. Also people who do not have enough employes don't get things that the wanted to get done, for instance masons case.

    4) I like this activity, I like working with about 4 to 10 people on projects, thats more of my comfort zone. I felt that it was fun and I enjoyed it very much.

    5) I helped me after we all did our presentations when we talked about how everyone enjoyed/disliked their project. When the smaller groups came around it seemed that the smaller groups were much harder to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  32. 1. We got to work right away with no hassle or anything like that. We worked hard and knew our places.

    2. I created a song using no loops, and it sounded great.

    3. A religion or cult that follows what we simulated.

    4. I felt so good, that I started making mean comments about the other group.

    5. Yes, because it helped me imagine a religion or cult, for I have none.

    ReplyDelete
  33. 1) my group was pretty big. I was in group A with Mia, Morgan, Jackson, Roy, Doug, me, Chloe, and Isabel. Sometimes it felt like there wasn't enough work for everyone to help. But even though it was the big group, I think we all did a pretty good job of dividing up the work and sharing ideas.
    2)I made a list of our beliefs and opinions with Morgan helping me. I also contributed to ideas about our group's project. I did about the same amount of work as everyone else in group A, but far less than people in group B or C.
    3) This reminded me of religious groups dominating the beliefs of citizens and some pieces of government. for example, the penny says "in god we trust", and not everyone in the us have this set of beliefs.
    4)I felt good, but it was sometimes frustrating when one person in our group wasn't really helping or trying to and he could get away with it because it was a big group. I really liked being in the mixed group because I felt like all the groups got an even part of their culture displayed in the flag.
    5)it was helpful to see how this type of situation would really work in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  34. 1. Our group was group A with Leslie, Dedaes, Olivia, Marcell, Timmy, Elliott, and Nathaniel. I thought our group was energetic and we had a lot of ideas. We were especially enthusiastic about the song. We took an existing song and changed some words so that it fit our group more.
    2. When our group didn't finish our flag, I came in at lunch with some other people and finished it. I also helped with contributing ideas about the design of our flag and our culture.
    3. Sometimes when there is a large group of friends, they leave some other people out. Some of those people get used to it, make their own groups of friends that are smaller, but they still get along with. That is what this activity reminds me of.
    4. I felt great because I was working with people I get along with, and we could still finish our work. Once the groups were switched around, I felt a little frustrated because my ideas weren't as heard anymore. I still feel good about our original group, because we worked together really well and finished the job.
    5. It helped me when I figured out the groups were different sizes, because I learned how different sized groups affect working together on projects.

    ReplyDelete
  35. 1. I was an observer so I didn't really have a group. I was an observer with Emily. We didn't really work together to much, but we got together a few times just to discuss what we saw.
    2. Because I was an observer I just went around and recorded how the members of the groups got along and what role each person played.
    3. This made me think of real conflicts in the world. Usually the bigger and richer country would win a war because they probably have a bigger army and more weapons.
    4. I did get frustrated a few times because for a while I wanted to be a member in one of the groups so I could give an opinion or tell them if it looked good or something, but I had to keep my mouth shut. In the end being an observer wasn't all bad though.
    5.This made me realize all of the perks of being a majority country. If you are voting for something that is bigger than just your country than the majority countries are going to have much more of a swing vote then smaller countries.

    ReplyDelete
  36. 1.) I was a member of group A. As the largest group we had 8 people total. At first I thought some one might direct everyone else but instead we just naturally splt into groups depending on what we wanted to work on.
    2.) I was part of the flag group and I worked on cutting out the paper, designing and decorating it.
    3.)Right now this reminded me of how the presidential candidates are targeting certain minority groups. It also reminded me of how certain religions are much more dominant than others. Just because one group is larger than another it does not necesarily mean it is better or more important.
    4.)I really liked how everyone was sharing thier ideas and opinions and everyone else was actually listening and considering them. Our final product was perfect for our group because everyone had a hand in helping to make it. I actually had a really fun time with this project. It let us be creative and use the talents that we have as well as share with the class and learn how to organize and include.
    5.) It was helpfull to see that groups of different sizes can complete similar projects when they put their minds to it Also it was a good exercise to look at how we think as middle schoolers and how we may think in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  37. 1.I was in group A with Anaga, Leslie, Dedaes, Marcell, Timmy, Elliott, and Nathaniel. Our group was very loud, we mostly just got the flag and song done. We did a lot of shouting over each other, but in the end we got it together. For example, Timmy and Nathaniel missed the Friday this was introduced but the Monday we shared he rapped on the spot and Dedaes and Marcell presented our culture.

    2. I helped design and color the flag we made. I was in Health after Cultures that day in the same room, so Marcell and I worked on the flag during health. Isaac also helped a little bit even though he wasn't in our group.

    3. I can't think of any current events that reflect this experiment in different countries, even though I'm sure there are some, but I can think of in the past how Hitler in Germany discriminated against anyone not german and how in the US discriminated against blacks. This shows one large group taking over the smaller ones.

    4. I was happy to be put in a group filled with people I cooperate with pretty well. I did get frustrated the first day when I felt like my ideas were not being heard. I got over that on monday though. I feel like I could cooperate well with them now.

    5.I feel like this activity was helpful because it helped me see how there are imbalances of power and what those people in the large group who aren't sure what to do, even though they know it isn't right. It gave me a perspective that I wouldn't of had otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  38. 1. Our group was the biggest. Because we had the most people our group split in to four smaller groups to get the work doe faster. This worked, but it felt like we were four groups instead of one. Having different people work on different aspects of the presentation helped us be more efficient but less group-like.
    2. To help our presentation I mostly worked on the flag with two other people, we worked well together and shared the work evenly. After the flag was done I made a stand with the same people. After that I helped the two people writing the beliefs come up with a few more.
    3. The only real examples I can think of are when smaller places (regions, cities, neighborhoods,etc.) have to work harder sometimes to achieve what bigger weather regions can have easily.
    4. I never was frustrated in my group because everyone was doing something well and at the right pace. We all finished our parts at roughly the same time, so we had time to talk about what our presentation would look like. I still like mt group and would choose to work with them again.
    5. This activity was helpful because it made me realize how having more resources (people) can be a big advantage. Also this activity made me think about how there are real situations like this in the world and what different ends of the spectrum feel like for those groups.

    ReplyDelete
  39. 1. I was in the four person group. I thought our group was great. We had the perfect number of people. Some of us worked on the flag others worked on the song.
    2. To help my group achieve goals I did the flag, and helped to present it. I contributed to coming up with ideas for our culture. I think we all did a fair share of the work.
    3. It reminded me of invisible boundaries we have. We have invisible boundaries excluding other beliefs races or personalities.
    4. During this group project I never really felt frustrated. We had a great group that worked together very nicely. Once we switched around groups I felt a little frustrated because our old group witch I had become used to was changed.
    5. I thought this project was helpful. Most of the time when we work in groups the teachers divide us evenly. We are used to all groups being equal sizes. I liked trying out new grouping systems.

    ReplyDelete
  40. 1.What was your group like? Give a concrete example or two.

    My team included: Ethan, Zoe, Kathryn, Fenny, Tara and Macy. Intense and focused is how I would characterized my team. This intensity and focus made this particular project fun and interesting. Because of the size of my team, however, it was very hard to get everyone to agree. For instance, when we found out that we had to make a flag to represent the traits that were assigned to us, everyone started throwing out different ideas which made it very hard to decide which direction to proceed
    2. What did YOU do to help your group achieve its goals?

    Ethan and I created our team’s song by exploring garage band. Our thought was to explore the wide variety of musical scores in Garage Band in hopes of identifying a rhythm and beat which matched the character of our team. Through my knowledge and understanding of Garage Band, I helped create and choose the music for our song, Also, I came up with an idea for our flag. My idea was to include a wide variety of colored dots on the flag. These dots, I thought, represented the large number of people on our team.

    3. Is there any real life situation in the world today which reminds you of this activity?

    No.

    4. How did you feel during the activity? Did you ever feel frustrated? How do you feel about your group now?

    During this activity, It felt very good to have a team that supported my ideas. I felt a little frustrated when I was trying to put the music together, but over-all, I felt great! I learned from our experience together how everybody worked in a team setting.

    5. Was this activity helpful to you? Why/Why not?

    This was a great exercise in teamwork and it was very fun to collaborate with others on something you don't do on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  41. 1. My group did a good job catching me up due to my absence. It was the largest group out of the three and it didn’t feel that people were talking over each other.

    2. I helped keep the group organized when they were getting off track.

    3. It reminded me of the fact when working in different sized groups they work differently. It seemed like the the group with four people were always trying to talk over each other with their ideas, and the larger group was listening to each other.

    4. The only thing that I got frustrated about was the fact that when everyone was working, there was usually one person that was just sitting around and not contributing.

    5. This activity was helpful to me to be able to watch how the dramatically different groups compared to one another.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Group letter: A
    Group Members: Leslie, Olivia, Anaga, Marcell, Nathaniel, Elliott, Timmy and Dedaes

    1) What was your group like?

    I was in group A. I was put in the biggest group. I think that in our group all of our idea's got used and listened to. Everyone in our group were friends and so we goofed off a lot but we still got our work done. There were sometimes when we all just stood around and listened to the music but other then that it was good.

    2)
    What dod YOU do to help your group achieve it's goals?

    I did a lot of the poster. During class I basically did that the whole time with Anaga and Olivia.

    3)
    Is there any real life situation in the world today wich reminds you of this activity?

    No

    4)
    How did I feel the project?

    I felt really good about it. I thought that I contributed the my time and effort really well into this project.

    5)
    Was this activity helpful why/why not?

    I think that it was fun and helpful because it made me realize reality of over population.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Piper:
    I was an observer, I noticed that a lot of ideas were being said in group A, but not a lot were heard. I think that group B, worked together really well because they had a lot of ideas, and everyone was listening to them. Group C found an Idea quickly, except since they only had 2 people in their group, it was hard to get work done. I noticed that at least 3 people in group A were just standing around when 1 person was working on the poster and 2 people were working on the song. Group B worked together well with 2 people for the poster and 2 people for the song, but after a little bit one of the people working on the song migrated over to the poster. Group C worked on the song the whole time, and so they only had like 5 minutes to make the poster. This reminds me of South Africa and how it works. I felt like the project went well for some groups better than others because they listened to everyone around them and contributed better than others. I think that this activity was fun because I got to see how the different groups evolved over a short period of time. I also got to see how being the biggest group doesn't mean the best group.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Observer
    I was an observer, I saw many people working together, and coming to a decision by making a in-class 'government'. One of the groups used a monarchy, another used a democracy, while the third used, well I don't really know what, they just threw ideas and decided, we should do this, we should do that, and we should do this, and we are done. The three groups were of varying size as well. Group A was much larger than the rest at around ten people, while group B had around five, and group C had only two people. I found that the smaller groups decided faster but couldn't get as much done very fast, group A on the other hand took awhile for people to decide but finished quite fast as they had many people, and group B decided a little slow, but it wasn't that bad, and they also finished their poster, song, and beliefs faster then group C.

    ReplyDelete
  45. 1. My group was productive because it was not to small or big. I was in group b with 5 others and half the group could work on the poster and the other 3 worked on the song.

    2. I worked on finding a good song and I did most of the talking while we presented.

    3. I would see how this would affect real life situations because if there was a group of construction workers working on something if you had to many people working some people would not get to do enough work. if the group was too small it would take a long time to complete what they were working on depending on the thing. If the group was just right there would be enough people working on on the job.

    4. I felt good in my group because we got a lot of things done and everybody had their own part to contribute to the group.

    5. I think this was a good activity to do because if you want to work on something you need the right sized group to complete it fast and efficiently

    ReplyDelete
  46. 1. What was your group like? Give a concrete example or two.
    Our Group loved circles and the color yellow. The two boys in our group went off on their own to make the music and the girls went and worked on everything else. I was in group A. Even though we were a big group, we got our work done and goofed off.

    2. What did YOU do to help your group achieve its goals?
    I tried to be someone who equalized everyone's jobs and tried to include everyone.

    3. Is there any real life situation in the world today which reminds you of this activity?
    Ummmmm, maybe be how countries fight, but in the end everyone works together and agrees.

    4. How did you feel during the activity? Did you ever feel frustrated? How do you feel about your group now?
    I felt great and enjoyed the activity, no, and I think our group will create a wonderful FAME project.

    5. Was this activity helpful to you? Why/Why not?
    Yes, because it helped strengthen my group skills and got me ready for FAME.

    ReplyDelete
  47. 1. My group was very on task. We worked together in an efficient way and divided up jobs evenly (music person, flag creator, religion, and group rules). We were very particular to our space and our ideas, as we did not let anyone come or look.

    2. I was one of a few group members to work on our flag and help organize and lead our presentation.

    3. I think this situation of boundaries and protecting your group and its identity, is relatable in many different ways. It could be different regions protecting its race and people from the outside or keeping out other people from different regions with different beliefs. Even putting boundaries on a group of friends.

    4. I felt really good about my group and what we accomplished. I felt a little frustrated when we all had different ideas and all wanted to do different things, but we pulled though with a great flag and ending presentation.

    5. I thought this activity was helpful because it taught me about my own reactions and actions as a human to 'there own' stuff and area. I found I am more protective than I thought I was.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I was an observer
    1. I observed that when the groups combined the make to flags the represented all of the groups everyone was drawing in the color of there original group and the groups with less people to represent there group would try t but more of there color on the make. Almost everyone stayed true to there group.
    2. I observed that everyone put in an idea or helped to make what ever idea there group chose to work. All of the groups split in half in they started to work. Half of the group worked on the flag and the other half worked on the song, but in the end worked together so that they could finish on time.
    3. Anytime when a group of people have to make a dissension about something and there are just some people how stand and observe.
    4. I felt left out that I wasn't in a group. The only time I got frustrated is when I had nothing to observe because the groups did the same thing for a couple minutes before the did something else so I get bored having nothing to do.
    5.Yes because I got the see how the number of people in a group effects how they make the dissension.

    ReplyDelete
  49. 1. My group included Zoe, Tara, Macey, Tyler, Cula (nt sure how to spell "Cula") Me and someone else. I felt there was a certain dictatorship though. ( *cough cough zoe cough) Also I believe the flag did not in one way besides SWAG represent me.

    2. In this project I helped do the music even though it wasn't perfect I tried. Also I helped with ideas, none of my ideas were considered however.

    3. This reminds me of the movie the dictator because there was a dictator and not everyone gets a vote.

    4. In this group I felt frustrated by some people but fell it went "fine"

    5.This project wasn't very helpful to me because there are a lot better ways to convoy the point of it.

    ReplyDelete
  50. During the majority/minority simulation I was an observer. It was interesting to be an observer because we had an outside view of what was going on in the simulation. It was interesting how methdods of acheivment varied from group to group. As an observer I was on my own. I felt like I learned a lot about tendencies that different groups. I noticed that group A collaborated well, they started with a base plan, and brought lots joy to their work. Group B also brought lots of joy to their work. I also noticed that group B split into two groups. One group worked on the flag and one worked on the song. This stategy ended up being very productive. Group C who was minority started out with some problems. They couldn't agree on how to do things, and they didn't have a plan on paper. Eventually I observed that they also split into two groups except each group had only one person. They spilt their work but when they did all conversation and collaboration stopped. I observed that this created a less productive environment. I observed that all groups used the technology available to them and their flags and songs reflect their own personal interests. Because none of the groups really collaborated this simulation reminded me of our world's invisible boundaries. Our class created invisible boundaries between each other by not collaborating with other groups. I enjoyed being the observer because it gave me view of the situation that I would not have had otherwise. I thought that this simulation really showed us what differences are between majority and minority groups. I also thought it showed us what our tendencies are if we given the opprotunity to choose our own groups.

    ReplyDelete
  51. 1. In my group there was eight people. There was supposed to be nine but Carolyn was sick. We had very dominate leaders who had most of the ideas. They would check with the rest of the group and we would have some minor suggestions. We were the Yellow Circles of group A.

    2. I helped color in the circles on our flag and I traced them out using a concrete sample.

    3. This reminded me of the government in north korea. They have a strong leader with a few followers. The leader presents and idea and the followers make minor suggestions. That was much like this activity except in north korea they have guns.

    4. I was never very frustrated. I thought it would be hard to get eight people to focus. But we got the job done. I felt a little rushed due to the little time we had.

    5. This activity helped me because I actually did a good amount of work. I think it showed pe good things to think about and remember for future group work.

    ReplyDelete
  52. 1. My group was the Hersheys (liked brown and asymmetrical shapes) with just Lyssa and I. We split all the work up evenly since there were only two of us, and we scrambles to get it all done in time.

    2. I worked on the flag, looked for songs, and did my half of the presentation.

    3. This activity reminded me of social groups all around the world, how people always want to join the big group with the most people. I was in the minority group, and while I wanted to join the larger group I also liked the challenge.

    4. It was a little frustrating at first when we found out we only had 2 people and a very short amount of time. As we went along tho I think we worked well together and (even tho we were both lacking computer skills) we were able to pull it together and present.

    5. Yes, this activity was helpful because it gave me a sense of what its like to work in a short amount of time with a small amount of people. It also helped me see the separation of different groups in daily life.

    ReplyDelete
  53. 1.our group was pretty legit, i mean we had the perfect amount of people working and we also worked in a really nice dynamic. we had a great song, a dance that complemented the song, info on the group , and a epic poster.

    2. i made the info on our group and a slide show to present it and i made the dance, along with Will.

    3. no nothing reminded me of this experience

    4. again i think our group was great, very hard working, very nice, and very well put together

    5. yes it was extremely helpful to me, it helped me understand (roughly) on how society comes together to make something.

    ReplyDelete